Now that we have recovered from Mine That Bird's shocking win in the Kentucky Derby, it is time to look ahead to the Preakness on May 16. Will Mine That Bird win again and have a chance at the Triple Crown or will someone else step up and beat him? Here is the current list of horses planning to start in the Preakness, and several of the Derby starters will be back to try again. Entries will be drawn on May 13, so watch for the post positions that night.
Kentucky Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra plans to run in the Preakness for her new owner Stonestreet Stable, but they will have to pay a $100,000 supplement fee to enter since she was not nominated to the Triple Crown and if she runs, she would be the first Oaks winner ever to run in the Preakness. Because she is a supplement, she could be excluded if 14 original nominees enter.
As of Monday, Hull has dropped out to wait for the Woody Stephens on Belmont day and Mike Smith as been confirmed as the replacement rider for Mine That Bird if Rachel Alexandra runs.
Click the horse's name to see a profile with lots of information, stats, and a photo where available. My contender analysis will come out this weekend.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Wednesday Preakness Photos - from the morning works
- Analyzing the Preakness contenders - trying to pick a winner by using angles, statistical trends, and profiling
- Preakness contender past performances - free from DRF
- Fillies in the Preakness - Since Rachel Alexandra is likely to enter this year, here is a look at the 52 fillies who have run in the Preakness and how they finished. So far only 4 have won.
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos
- Preakness Weather Forecasts
- Preakness Infield Changes for 2009 - In an effort to clean up the rough reputation of the Preakness Infield crowd, this year fans won't be allowed to bring in beverages but they will have 3 bands giving concerts including ZZ Top.
- Preakness Traditions - Black-eyed Susans to the winner, the Woodlawn Vase trophy, the Alibi Breakfast, painting the weather vane, and more.
- Preakness Entry Rules - the field is limited to 14 starters, here is how they determine the order of preference if more than that enter.
- Preakness Info Central - the main list of everything Preakness
- Preakness 101 - A basic introduction the the second jewel of the Triple Crown
- Past Preakness Winners
- Preakness official site - news, history, and more
- Baltimore Sun Preakness Section - news, articles, and more
- Road to the Triple Crown - from Thoroughbred Times
- Triple Crown Mania - from Blood Horse
- Preakness Special - from DRF
- Triple Crown Trail - the prep race schedule with results
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|Mine That Bird||Woolley Jr.||5.40||Borel|
|Pioneerof The Nile||Baffert||3.89||Gomez|
|Take the Points||Pletcher||1.35||Prado|
|Tone It Down||Komlo||1.22||Desormeaux|