We are down to the final race of the Triple Crown now, and unfortunately we won't get to see a showdown between Kentucky Derby winner and Preakness runner-up Mine That Bird and Preakness and Kentucky Oaks winning filly Rachel Alexandra. After much consideration, on May 29 her connections finally announced their decision to not send her to the Belmont. Majority owner Jess Jackson said, "Since March 14, Rachel has won four graded races with just two weeks rest between her last two victories. We will always put her long-term well-being first. And, of course, we want to run her when she is fresh."
This means Mine That Bird will keep jockey Calvin Borel aboard, and it makes his chances to wins the Belmont Stakes look even better. So far it looks like there will be ten to twelve horses enter, with the most serious challengers for him to be Charitable Man, Chocolate Candy, and Dunkirk.
Below is the current list of horses planning to start in the Belmont Stakes. Entries will be drawn on Wednesday June 3, so check back that afternoon for the final list and post positions.
Click the horse's name to see a profile with lots of information, stats, and a photo.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Belmont contender past performances - free from DRF
- Preakness Results and Photos - Rachel Alexandra beats the boys with Mine That Bird second
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos - Mine That Bird wins in the slop at 50-1
- Kentucky Oaks Results and Photos - Rachel Alexandra wins by 20 1/4 lengths
- Belmont Weather Forecasts
- Past Belmont Stakes winners - with their connections, odds, winning time, etc.
- Fillies in the Belmont Stakes - only three fillies have won out of 22 entered, the last being Rags to Riches in 2007.
- Belmont Stakes Traditions - from white carnations to the Belmont Breeze
- Belmont Stakes 101 - an overview of the Belmont Stakes from history to handicapping to how to attend.
- Belmont Stakes official site - lots of news, stats, and other info
- Belmont Media Guide - for 2009 from NYRA in PDF format. Includes all kinds of interesting stats plus charts for all the previous runnings.
- Belmont Stakes Ticket Info - has 2009 the Belmont Stakes ticket applications and locations. Prices and seating diagram are in the application.
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Belmont Special
- New York Time Sports - will have Belmont coverage mixed in on the "Other Sports" page
- New York Post Sports Section - should have some articles, scroll way down to find them in the "Sports Stories" section.
- Belmont Stakes Videos - Lots of video clips of past Belmonts in the History section including most of the Triple Crown winners
- Triple Crown winners and near misses - Only 11 have won the Triple Crown, but 20 have won the Derby and Preakness only to fail in the Belmont.
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others
- Belmont Stakes Info Central - the master index with even more stuff
|Mine That Bird||Woolley Jr.||5.40||Borel|
|Mr. Hot Stuff||Harty||2.11||Prado|
|Nowhere to Hide||Zito||2.33||?|