Although there isn't a Triple Crown possibility this year, it should still be an exciting Belmont Stakes with the rematch between Kentucky Derby winner and Preakness third Giacomo was Preakness winner and Derby third Afleet Alex. Nine others have entered to try and upset them, giving a field of eleven for the 2005 Belmont Stakes. Afleet Alex was favored in both the Derby (second choice) and Preakness (favorite), and he is once again the favorite for the Belmont with Giacomo set as second favorite at 4-1. Others entered with a chance are Peter Pan Stakes runner-up Reverberate at 6-1 and Lone Star Derby winner Southern Africa at 12-1. The $1 million Belmont Stakes will be run as the 11th of 13 races on Saturday and will be televised live on NBC from 5:30 to 7pm EDT.
Below are the horses in post position order with morning line odds listed. Click the link on each horse's name to view his full info, stats, and a photo where available. A star by the dosage indicates a dual qualifier, although by this point the only ones left are Afleet Alex and Southern Africa.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Belmont Contender Past Performances - free from DRF
- Belmont Media Guide - from NYRA in PDF format. Includes all kinds of interesting stats plus charts for all the previous runnings
- Preakness Results - Afleet Alex survives a near fall to win over Scrappy T and Giacomo.
- Preakness Photo Tour
- Free Preakness Past Performances - from DRF, available the evening of June 9
- Kentucky Derby Results
- Kentucky Derby Photo Tour
- Belmont Weather Forecasts
- Free Preakness Video Replay - from MSNBC
- Belmont News - from NYRA
- Triple Crown Mania - from Blood Horse
- Belmont Special - from DRF
- Thoroughbred Times Triple Crown Special
- Triple Crown Trail prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Nolan's Cat||Dale Romans||2.14||Norberto Arroyo Jr.||50-1|
|2||Pinpoint||Nick Zito||2.47||John Velazquez||20-1|
|3||A.P. Arrow||D. Wayne Lukas||3.80||Jerry Bailey||20-1|
|4||Southern Africa||Michael Puhich||3.00 *||Jon Court||12-1|
|5||Giacomo||John Shirreffs||4.33||Mike Smith||4-1|
|6||Watchmon||Patrick Reynolds||1.67||Javier Castellano||50-1|
|7||Andromeda's Hero||Nick Zito||2.78||Rafael Bejarano||15-1|
|8||Reverberate||Sal Russo||1.11||Jose Santos||6-1|
|9||Afleet Alex||Tim Ritchey||2.11 *||Jeremy Rose||6-5|
|10||Indy Storm||Nick Zito||2.25||Edgar Prado||20-1|
|11||Chekhov||Patrick Biancone||2.69||Gary Stevens||12-1|