A field of 12 will face the starter in the 143rd running of the $1 million Belmont Stakes (G1) on Saturday June 11, the final leg of the Triple Crown. Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom drew post 9 and is the 2-1 favorite on the morning line, off his close second in the Preakness. Back for a rematch is Preakness winner Shackleford, who drew post 12 on the far outside which dropped hinm to third choice at 9-2. Second choice at odds of 4-1 is Kentucky Derby runner-up Nehro who drew the 6 hole and is coming here off 5 week's rest.
Animal Kingdom's trainer Graham Motion said, "I think he's going to have to be close in a 1 1/2 mile race, I don't think it's going to take him out of his game. I would have preferred 6 or 7. I would not have wanted to be in the 1 or the 12. The 12 is right near the grandstand. I'm happy [Shackleford] is in the 12. It will make him work a little bit. It's going to be a tactical race, no doubt about it. I think these two horses coming down the stretch would be the ultimate. It would validate the other two races and start a rivalry. It's great for this race. It's a test of champions."
Dale Romans, trainer of Shackleford, said "I think in a 1 1/2 mile race like the Belmont, the post position isn't that important. With post position 12, he'll be the last one in and the first one out. Hopefully, he'll be able to clear the field. He's fast enough that he'll be able to break and clear everyone anyway. The biggest part of racing is the Triple Crown. The Belmont is a grueling test, and you have to have a great horse to do it. Shackleford has been training super. Without a Triple Crown on the line, this is going to be one of the most exciting Belmonts I can remember."
With a post time of 6:35 p.m. EDT, the Belmont Stakes will be the 11th of 13 races and will be telecast nationally on NBC beginning at 5 p.m., with coverage on VERSUS from 3-5 p.m. VERSUS will also carry post-race coverage from 7-7:30 p.m.
Below are the horses entered for the 2011 Belmont Stakes with post positions and morning line odds. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo. Free past performances are available from Daily Racing Form.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Analyzing the Belmont Stakes Contenders - My annual analysis using popular angles and statistical trends to see who best matches the profile of a Belmont winner.
- Belmont contender past performances - free from DRF
- Belmont Weather Forecasts
- Belmont Contender Workout Photos - Photos of 6 contenders from Saturday and Sunday, including Shackleford on the track and Animal Kingdom arriving at Belmont plus turf champion Gio Ponti.
- Past Belmont Stakes winners - with their connections, odds, winning time, etc.
- Belmont Media Guide - for 2011 from NYRA in PDF format. Includes all kinds of interesting stats plus charts for all the previous runnings.
- Belmont Stakes Traditions - from white carnations to the Belmont Breeze
- Belmont Stakes 101 - an overview of the Belmont Stakes from history to handicapping to how to attend.
- Fillies in the Belmont Stakes - only three fillies have won out of 22 entered, the last being Rags to Riches in 2007.
- Belmont Stakes official site - lots of news, stats, and other info
- Belmont Stakes Ticket Info - has 2011 the Belmont Stakes ticket applications and locations. Prices and seating diagram are in the application.
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Belmont Special
- New York Times Sports - will have Belmont coverage mixed in on the "Other Sports" page
- New York Post Horse Racing Section - should have some articles, also has a link to a Bettors Guide with picks.
- Belmont Stakes Videos - Lots of video clips of past Belmonts in the History section including most of the Triple Crown winners
- Triple Crown winners and near misses - Only 11 have won the Triple Crown, but 20 have won the Derby and Preakness only to fail in the Belmont.
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others
- Belmont Stakes Info Central - the master index with even more stuff
- Preakness Results and Photos - Shackleford wins
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos - Animal Kingdom wins
|1||Master of Hounds||Aiden O'Brien||1.07||Garrett Gomez||10-1|
|2||Stay Thirsty||Todd Pletcher||2.25||Ramon Dominguez||20-1|
|3||Ruler on Ice||Kelly Breen||2.56||Jose Valdivia Jr.||20-1|
|4||Santiva||Eddie Kenneally||1.67||Shaun Bridgmohan||15-1|
|5||Brilliant Speed||Tom Albertrani||1.72||Joel Rosario||15-1|
|6||Nehro||Steve Asmussen||4.33||Corey Nakatani||4-1|
|7||Monzon||Ignacio Correas||3.40||Jose Lezcano||30-1|
|8||Prime Cut||Neil Howard||1.44||Edgar Prado||15-1|
|9||Animal Kingdom||Graham Motion||1.67||John Velazquez||2-1|
|10||Mucho Macho Man||Katherine Ritvo||2.43||Ramon Dominguez||10-1|
|11||Isn't He Perfect||Doodnauth Shivmangal||2.06||Rajiv Maragh||30-1|
|12||Shackleford||Dale Romans||3.62||Jesus Castanon||9-2|