On Tuesday January 22, the Jockey Club of Canada announced the finalists for the 2012 Sovereign Awards, Canadian thoroughbred racing's year-end championships, the equivalent to the Eclipse Awards in the United States and the Cartier Awards in Europe. Winners will be announced at the 38th Annual Sovereign Awards ceremonies on the eve of opening day at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, which has yet to be determined. Voting closed on January 16, 2012, allowing the entire calendar year of 2012 to be included. In past years voting closed as early as mid-November. Winning connections receive a statue of English sire St. Simon.
The legendary breeder E.P.Taylor founded The Jockey Club of Canada in 1973 by E.P. Taylor to serve as an international representative of Canada's Thoroughbred sport and to promote improvements to Thoroughbred horse racing and breeding both in Canada and internationally. To that end the Jockey Club of Canada organizes and hosts the annual Sovereign Awards to honor outstanding achievements in all areas of Thoroughbred sport - from media coverage to Horse of the Year.
Below are all the finalists in all the categories except Horse of the Year, whose finalists are not revealed until immediately before the winner is announced. Media finalists will not be announced until mid-February and will be added here once they are available. The judging for the 2012 media categories will be performed by the Journalism Professors at Humber College, School of Media Studies & Information Technology in Toronto, Ontario.
Champion Two Year Old Female
Spring in the Air
Champion Two Year Old Male
Champion Three Year Old Female
Champion Three Year Old Male
Strait of Dover
Champion Older Female
Stars to Shine
Champion Older Male
Champion Female Turf Horse
All Star Heart
Champion Male Turf Horse
Forte Dei Marmi (GB)
Riding the River
Champion Male Sprinter
Bear Tough Tiger
Essence Hit Man
Champion Female Sprinter
William D. Graham
Melnyk Racing Stables, Inc.
NA Thoroughbred Horse Company Inc.
John C. Oxley
Eurico Da Silva
Outstanding Apprentice Jockey
The 38th Sovereign Awards Ceremony will be held on the third floor of Woodbine Race Track in Toronto on Friday, April 19, 2013, the evening before Woodbine’s Opening Day of Thoroughbred Racing. The 2013 Live Thoroughbred meet at Woodbine will commence the following day, April 20.
The elegant, cocktail-attire celebration will begin at 6pm with a champagne reception, followed by a buffet-style gourmet dinner, and tropical entertainment along with the evening’s feature event, the presentation of the Sovereign Award Trophies to Canada’s Racing Champions of 2012 and Canada’s Horse of the Year.
Tickets are $250 plus applicable taxes (tables of 10 are $2500) and must be reserved in advance by contacting The Jockey Club of Canada at 416-675-7756 or email: email@example.com
More Sovereign Award info:
- 2011 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Never Retreat
- 2010 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Biofuel
- 2009 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Champs Elysees
- 2008 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Fatal Bullet
- 2007 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Sealy Hill
- 2006 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Arravale
- 2005 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was A Bit O'Gold
- 2004 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Soaring Free
- 2003 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Wando
- 2002 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Wake at Noon
- 2001 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Win City
- 2000 Sovereign Awards - Horse of the Year was Quiet Resolve
- Sovereign Award rules and eligibility - from the Jockey Club of Canada
- Sovereign Award past winners - from the Jockey Club of Canada