Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1)
Distance: 6 Furlongs
Conditions: 3 Year Olds and Up
Purse: $1.5 Million
Post Time: 2:37pm Eastern
A total of 12 horses were pre-entered for the Sprint but only 9 made the final field on October 31, as several opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1) is one of the original seven World Championships races, first run at Hollywood Park in 1984, and was immediately granted Grade 1 status by the American Graded Stakes Committee of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association for the inaugural running. It has always been run at 6 furlongs on the main (dirt or synthetic) track, and as expected, it consistently draws full fields given that it is the most frequently contested distance in American racing. It offered a $1 million purse from 1984 to 2005, was doubled to $2 million for the 2006 running at Churchill Downs, but was cut back to $1.5 million for the 2011 running, with the difference moved to the newly created Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint. The fastest six furlongs run in Breeders' Cup Sprint history was 1:07.08, by Midnight Lute at Santa Anita in 2008 over the Pro-Ride synthetic, while the slowest running was 1:10.40 by Gulch in 1988 at Churchill Downs. Surprisingly there has only been one repeat winner of the race, Midnight Lute who won over a muddy track in 2007 at Monmouth Park under cold, rainy conditions, and then came back to win in the desert heat of Santa Anita a year laterm, over a synthetic surface. Both years, jockey Garrett Gomez was in the irons for trainer Bob Baffert. The Breeders' Cup Challenge "Win and You're In" races for the Sprint are the Smile Sprint Handicap (G2) at Calder, Vosburgh Invitational Stakes (G1) at Belmont, Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix Stakes (G3) at Keeneland, and the Ancient Title Stakes (G1) at Santa Anita. The lowest win payoff was $4.60 for inaugural winner Eillo, while Sheikh Albadou's $54.60 payoff is the record highest mutuel. Sheikh Albadou is also the only European invader to win the Breeders' Cup Sprint.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Sprint coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Sprint Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Sprint coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info.
- Breeders' Cup Sprint coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Sprint Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Sprint contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Dosage and pedigree info for past Sprint winners - from Steve Roman at Chef-de-Race.com
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|1||Euroears||Bob Baffert||Rafael Bejarano||4-1|
|2||Giant Ryan *||Bisnath Parboo||Cornelio Velasquez||8-1|
|3||Aikenite||Todd Pletcher||Javier Castellano||8-1|
|4||Hamazing Destiny||D. Wayne Lukas||Robby Albarado||10-1|
|5||Jackson Bend||Nick Zito||Corey Nakatani||7-2|
|6||Force Freeze||Peter Walder||John Velazquez||10-1|
|7||Amazombie *||Bill Spawr||Mike Smith||5-1|
|8||Big Drama||David Fawkes||Ramon Dominguez||5-2|
|9||Apriority||David Fawkes||Joel Rosario||30-1|