Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint
Distance: 6 furlongs
Conditions: 2 Year Olds
Post Time: 4:10pm EDT
A total of 12 horses were pre-entered for the Juvenile Sprint but only 9 made the final field on October 31, as some withdrew or opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint is the newest addition to the Championship program. It will be run at 6 furlongs for juvenile colts, geldings, and fillies, with a $500,000 purse (moved from the Sprint which was reduced to $1.5 million). It will run without a grade until the American Graded Stakes Committee determines it has earned an upgrade, a process that usually requires at least 2 runnings. The new race will have a maximum of 14 starters, and it will be run on the Friday card. The creation of Juvenile Sprint was developed through the combined efforts of Breeders’ Cup Wagering Committee, chaired by David Willmot, and the Breeders’ Cup Racing and Nominations Committee, chaired by Clem Murphy. “Our goal in the Wagering Committee focused on creating a Breeders’ Cup race that would generate not only betting interest for the public but also provide an additional opportunity for the two year old crop from which our owners and breeders could benefit.” said Willmot. “A six furlong sprint race for Juveniles has the potential to provide highly competitive fields in this new division.” Murphy commented: “In discussions with horsemen on selecting a new race, an overwhelming majority requested that we add a Juvenile Sprint to the Championships program. There are a number of talented 2-year-old sprinters around the world who are not suited or may not be ready to run the two turns at 1 1/16 miles of the Juvenile (G1) or Juvenile Fillies (G1) in early November. The Juvenile Sprint provides horsemen with an alternative.” This is the first expansion of the World Championships program since 2008, when the number of races was increased from 11 to 14 for the 25th running at Santa Anita Park. The Breeders’ Cup began in 1984 with seven races and purses of $10 million. An eighth race, the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf, was added in 1999. The Breeders’ Cup was expanded to 11 races for the 2007 running at Monmouth Park.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Juvenile coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Juvenile Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Juvenile coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Juvenile Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Juvenile contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race. Hunt Crossing is marked out as he was injured after being pre-entered but before the pre-entries were announced and will not race.
|1||Seeker||Steve Asmussen||Julien Leparoux||4-1|
|2||Sum of the Parts||Tom Amoss||Rajiv Maragh||15-1|
|3||Blacky the Bull||Jeff Bonde||Pat Valenzuela||20-1|
|4||Trinniberg||Bisnath Parboo||Cornelio Velasquez||9-2|
|5||Shumoos||Brian Meehan||Garrett Gomez||15-1|
|6||Secret Circle||Bob Baffert||Rafael Bejarano||6-5|
|7||Holdin Bullets||Wesley Ward||Jeffrey Sanchez||15-1|
|8||Jake Mo||Allen Milligan||Mike Smith||20-1|
|9||Vexor||John Kimmel||David Cohen||5-1|