Press release courtesy of NTRA
The legendary Secretariat, one of only 11 Triple Crown winners and considered by many the greatest Thoroughbred of all time, is the centerpiece of a new Web site, Secretariat.com, launched today by the Louisville-based Commemorative Derby Promotions, which will operate the site in conjunction with the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA).
Sanctioned by Penny Chenery, Secretariat's owner during his illustrious racing career, Secretariat.com is the only official online source for Secretariat information, photographs and an interactive fan exchange for the champion Thoroughbred, who was voted Horse of the Year as a two-year-old in 1972 and again in 1973 for his Triple Crown-winning campaign. Licensed collectible merchandise will be offered on both Secretariat.com and ntra.com with a portion of all sales proceeds benefiting several charities and causes within the Thoroughbred community, including the Kentucky Horse Park Foundation and its Secretariat Bronze Fund.
"Sharing in Secretariat's legend has been one of the great honors of my life," Chenery said. "I am pleased that the power of his name can now do so much good for Thoroughbred racing by educating fans about valuable industry charities, assisting these groups by raising needed funds and creating further awareness of this beautiful sport."
Photo courtesy of Robin Massey
Among the first items offered exclusively through the online stores at Secretariat.com and ntra.com is Secretariat apparel by ROOTS(tm), manufacturer of the popular berets and other clothing worn by the U.S. and Canadian teams at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Other items scheduled for release include a Secretariat video, an official poster, and a Secretariat bobblehead doll-the first such collectible to depict a racehorse. New items will be introduced regularly, and a portion of all sales proceeds will benefit the charities supported by Secretariat.com.
More about Secretariat online:
- Secretariat - the 1973 Triple Crown winner with photos
- Secretariat Remains No. 1 - a SportsCentury biography from ESPN with video
- Secretariat - Pure Heart - a very moving story about the death of Secretariat
- Secretariat Trivia - fan page with Derby trivia questions about Big Red
- Secretariat - from Thoroughbred Champions
- Secretariat - from the Unofficial Hall of Fame
- Secretariat, Heart of Gold from Equine Heroes
- Secretariat from the county in Virginia where he was born
- Secretariat's Grave - just a photo from the "Find A Grave" site
- Secretariat: The Making of a Champion - a book by William Nack
- Secretariat - a book by Raymond Woolfe
- The Life and Times of Secretariat - a video from ESPN. Excellent but out of print although you can try to order a used copy. It does comes up for sale regularly on eBay
- Other Famous Horses Online
Photos ©2002 Cindy Pierson Dulay, licensed to About except where noted.