The trifecta requires you to select the first three finishers in order and can lead to big pay-offs. Boxing lets your selections come in any order and still win.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Select three or four horses that you think have the best chance to finish in the top 3 positions
- Go to the betting window and tell the clerk which track and race you wish to bet on
- Tell the clerk '$1.00 trifecta box 1, 2, 3, 4' (or whichever horses you selected).
- Make sure your ticket is correct before you leave the window.
- Take your ticket and watch and cheer for your selections.
- The more horses you put in your box, the better chance you have of cashing your ticket, but your ticket will also be more expensive.
- A 3 horse box is $6, a 4 horse box is $24, a 5 horse box is $60, and a 6 horse box is $120.
- $1 is generally the minimum wager on a trifecta box but you can wager a larger amount if you like.