The exacta requires you to select the first two finishers in order. Boxing lets your selections come in any order and still win. The exacta usually offers higher pay-offs than win, place, or show wagers.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Select the horses that you think have the best chance to finish in the top 2 positions
- Go to the betting window and tell the clerk which track and race you wish to bet on
- Tell the clerk '$1.00 exacta box 1, 2, 3' (or whichever horses you selected). Most tracks offer a $1 minimum on boxed exactas, but some still require $2 minimums.
- Make sure your ticket is correct before you leave the window.
- Take your ticket and watch and cheer for your selections.
- The more horses you put in your box, the better chance you have of cashing your ticket, but your ticket will also be more expensive.
- A 2 horse box is $2, 3 horse box is $6, a 4 horse box is $12, a 5 horse box is $20, and a 6 horse box is $30.
- $1 is generally the minimum wager on an exacta box but some tracks still require a $2 minimum. You can always wager a larger amount if you like.