It has been a very long time since the last Triple Crown winner, Affirmed in 1978. We have had several come close in the last decade but no horse has managed to get the job done. Willl California Chrome do it this year?
triple crown winner??
- I rubbed race horses for over 25 years, starting in 1973...became a foreman for a big racing stable, became a foreman later for large breeding operation later...
I don't believe that the horses are any weaker than they were 20 years ago...I do believe that due to big breeding fees that many owners aren't willing to take the physical chance in breakdowns...AND MOST IMPORTANT...that the many current trainers/grooms don't have the expertise that the same individuals did 20-30 years ago....
I , personally know about 3of the top trainers as they are my age or younger...so that's an issue...
Plan to write a book someday...LOL
I don't think it will happen again
- They just don't breed horses durable enough or with enough stamina to win all 3 races anymore. Unless they start breeding horses meant to go long again, we will never see another Triple Crown winner. :-(
- —Guest Not holding my breath
- As soon as that one beautiful champion arises.It has happened 11 times before and soon we will see the wind in his mane and the fire from his nostrils.
- —Guest Bluegrassspotter
Not this year
- Maybe next year, but I am not holding my breath! Sometimes it seems like it will never happen.
- —Guest Too Bad
Not this year
- It'll be three different winners. Mucho Macho Man wins the Preakness and then some new shooter steals the Belmont.
- —Guest Giovanni
We can always hope
- Animal Kingdom looked really good in the Derby and shouldn't be too tired since he had such a long layoff before it. Hopefully he will be up to the task.
- —Guest Hopeful