Pedigree: Hard Spun - Moyne Abbey by Charismatic
Dosage Profile: 2-5-11-0-0
Dosage Index / CD: 2.27 0.50
2013 Record: 7 Starts: 3 - 1 - 0, $214,850
Best Beyer Figure: 104
Triple Crown Nominated
More Belmont Stakes Info:
- Belmont Stakes Contenders - all the probable entries with profiles
- Triple Crown winners and near misses - Only 11 have won the Triple Crown, but 22 have won the Derby and Preakness only to fail in the Belmont. What will California Chrome do?
- Belmont Weather Forecasts
- Preakness Stakes Results and Photos - California Chrome won again! Lots of other articles linked off this for the Preakness and Black-Eyed Susan.
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos - California Chrome won. Lots of other articles linked off this for the Kentucky Derby and Oaks.
- Past Belmont Stakes winners - with their connections, odds, winning time, etc.
- Belmont Stakes official site - lots of news, stats, and other info
- Belmont Media Guide - for 2014 from NYRA split into sections which are in PDF format. Includes all kinds of interesting stats plus charts for all the previous runnings.
- Belmont Stakes Traditions - from white carnations to the Belmont Breeze
- Belmont Stakes 101 - an overview of the Belmont Stakes from history to handicapping to how to attend.
- Fillies in the Belmont Stakes - only three fillies have won out of 22 entered, the last being Rags to Riches in 2007.
- Belmont Stakes Ticket Info - has 2014 the Belmont Stakes ticket applications and locations. Prices and seating diagram are in the application.
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- DRF Belmont Special
- New York Post Sports Section - should have some articles, scroll way down to find them in the "Sports Stories" section.
- New York Times Sports - will have Belmont coverage mixed in the other sports page
- Belmont Stakes Videos - Lots of video clips of past Belmonts in the History section including most of the Triple Crown winners
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others
- Belmont Stakes Info Central - the master index with even more stuff
- Triple Crown Trail - 2014 prep race schedule with results updated weekly.
The final jewel of the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes, is not only the longest of the three races at one and a half miles but also the oldest. The grueling distance can make or break a horse and is one of the truest tests of stamina in racing. Thirty horses have entered the Belmont with a chance to become a Triple Crown winner, but only eleven have succeeded.
The inaugural running of the Belmont Stakes was in 1867 at Jerome Park Racecourse, making it the oldest of all the Triple Crown Races. It was named after prominent banker and Jockey Club president August Belmont. Only four horses went to post in that first Belmont and the winner was a filly named Ruthless, one of only three fillies to have won the marathon race. Since then the Belmont has been responsible for quite a few firsts in racing. The American tradition of the "post parade" was introduced to American racing in the 1880 Belmont. The first, and so far only, Triple Crown race to be won by a female jockey was the 1993 Belmont won by Colonial Affair with Julie Krone aboard. In 1973, Secretariat set a track and world record of 2:24 for the mile and a half with his 31-length victory, a record that still stands today.