Preakness results are here - Rachel Alexandra wins!
A field of 13 was entered for the 134th Preakness on Wednesday with post positions drawn that afternoon in a tent in the parking lot adjacent to the stakes barn at Pimlico. Kentucky Oaks winner Rachel Alexandra was set as the morning line favorite at 8-5 and will break from post 13. Kentucky Derby runner-up Pioneerof the Nile is second choice at 5-1 with Derby winner Mine That Bird and beaten Derby favorite Friesan Fire ties at 6-1 for third choice.
Scott Blasi, assistant trainer for Steve Asmussen, was on hand to see which post Rachel Alexandra drew. He said, "I was just speaking with Jess (Jackson) and Steve (Asmussen) and we're very happy with it, being on the outside. You've got a long run to the first turn here. With having a filly in the race, what you're worried about is traffic and everything that can happen. In the Derby, when you break they all come together. I think it's a very good spot for us. I think the race will sort itself out before the first turn. We know that she does have good tactical speed and she should be able to get a good position going into the first turn."
Trainer Bob Baffert was pleased with Pioneerof the Nile's draw of post 9. He said, "It's very good. I wanted the 9, 10 or 11. We got the 9, which is very good." While trainer D. Wayne Lukas was more ambivalent about 50-1 longshot Luv Gov drawing post 4. He said, "The 4 is OK – As long as it's not the one hole. He comes from off the pace. It's OK."
The Preakness will be televised on NBC from 4:30 to 6:30PM ET with the race going to post at 6:15 PM. Free past performances are available from Daily Racing Form.
Below are the entries with post positions and morning line odds. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Wednesday Preakness Photos - from the morning works
- Analyzing the Preakness contenders - trying to pick a winner by profiling
- Preakness contender past performances - free from DRF
- Fillies in the Preakness - Since Rachel Alexandra is likely to enter this year, here is a look at the 52 fillies who have run in the Preakness and how they finished. So far only 4 have won.
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos
- Preakness Weather Forecasts
- Preakness Infield Changes for 2009 - In an effort to clean up the rough reputation of the Preakness Infield crowd, this year fans won't be allowed to bring in beverages but they will have 3 bands giving concerts including ZZ Top.
- Preakness Traditions - Black-eyed Susans to the winner, the Woodlawn Vase trophy, the Alibi Breakfast, painting the weather vane, and more.
- Preakness Entry Rules - the field is limited to 14 starters, here is how they determine the order of preference if more than that enter.
- Preakness Info Central - the main list of everything Preakness
- Preakness 101 - A basic introduction the the second jewel of the Triple Crown
- Past Preakness Winners
- Preakness official site - news, history, and more
- Baltimore Sun Preakness Section - news, articles, and more
- Road to the Triple Crown - from Thoroughbred Times
- Triple Crown Mania - from Blood Horse
- Preakness Special - from DRF
- Triple Crown Trail - the prep race schedule with results
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|2||Mine That Bird||Woolley||5.40||Borel||6-1|
|9||Pioneerof The Nile||Baffert||3.89||Gomez||5-1|
|11||Take the Points||Pletcher||1.35||Prado||30-1|
|12||Tone It Down||Komlo||1.22||Desormeaux||50-1|