A field of 13 was entered for the 133rd Preakness on Wednesday with post positions drawn that evening at the ESPNzone in Baltimore. Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown is a prohibitive morning line favorite at odds of 1-2 and will break from the 7 hole. The next closest are Gayego at 8-1 and Behindatthebar at 10-1.
Big Brown's co-owner Michael Iavarone said, "I think if he gets a clean trip, I don't know of anybody who can run with him. I wouldn't say we're on the inside. I think we've drawn in the right spot. I wouldn't want to have drawn on the inside in the 1, 2 or 3. In Post 20, he was kind of forced into a position where he had to stalk horses. Now drawing post 7, if nobody wants to go with him he can bounce out of there and take the race on his own on the lead. It gives Kent (Desormeaux, jockey) a lot more options. Rick (Dutrow, trainer) is elated with the 7. He really thought we'd get post 13 somehow."
Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Thursday Preakness Workout Photos - photos and workout comments for 9 horses, including two for favorite Big Brown
- Analyzing the Preakness contenders - trying to pick a winner by profiling
- Free Past Performances - from DRF
- Preakness Weather Forecasts
- Alibi Breakfast - Thursday before the Preakness the traditional Alibi Breakfast is held where the trainers of all the horses make their excuses in case they don't win on Saturday and annual awards are given.
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos
- Preakness News - from Pimlico
- Barn notes - from Pimlico
- Baltimore Sun Preakness Section - news, articles, and more
- Road to the Triple Crown - from Thoroughbred Times
- Triple Crown Mania - from Blood Horse
- Preakness Special - from DRF
- Preakness 101 - A basic introduction the the second jewel of the Triple Crown
- Past Preakness Winners
- Triple Crown Trail prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Macho Again||Dallas Stewart||3.80||Julien Leparoux||20-1|
|2||Tres Borrachos||Beau Greely||1.75||Tyler Baze||30-1|
|3||Icabad Crane||Graham Motion||3.31||Jeremy Rose||30-1|
|4||Yankee Bravo||Patrick Gallagher||1.22||Alex Solis||15-1|
|5||Behindatthebar||Todd Pletcher||3.57||David Flores||10-1|
|6||Racecar Rhapsody||Ken McPeek||2.33||Robby Albarado||30-1|
|7||Big Brown||Richard Dutrow Jr.||1.67||Kent Desormeaux||30-1|
|8||Kentucky Bear||Reade Baker||3.40||Jamie Theriot||1-2|
|9||Stevil||Nick Zito||1.86||John Velazquez||30-1|
|10||Riley Tucker||Bill Mott||4.60||Edgar Prado||30-1|
|11||Giant Moon||Richard Schosberg||2.43||Ramon Dominguez||30-1|
|12||Gayego||Paulo Lobo||4.33||Mike Smith||8-1|
|13||Hey Byrn||Eddie Plesa||3.00||Chuck C. Lopez||20-1|