Entries were taken and post positions drawn today for the 132nd Kentucky Derby to be held on May 6, 2006. A full field of 20, the maximum size allowed, was entered along with 3 additional horses who were excluded due to lack of graded stakes earnings. As is the usual practice, a post selection order was drawn at random and the connections of each horse were allowed to pick their post position. For the first time, this part of the draw was held in downtown Louisville at 4th Street Live and was open to the public.
As expected, Santa Anita Derby winner Brother Derek was named the 3-1 morning line favorite, and trainer Dan Hendricks chose post 18. He said, "We want to be out where it's a little clearer. From the inside, we felt we would have to send and use him a lot more." Lawyer Ron (post 17) and the undefeated Barbaro (post 8) are the second choices at 4-1. John Shirreffs, trainer of A.P. Warrior, was fortunate to get the first pick and took post 10, the same post used by last year's winner Giacomo, who Shirreffs also trains. He said, It was so lucky for us last year. It's a good spot." At the other extreme, Kiaran McLaughlin had the worst luck of all, as his horses will be the bookends in this maximum-capacity field. Flashy Bull (50-1) takes the far outside 20 post and Jazil (30-1) got stuck with the rail.
Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. A star by the dosage indicates a dual qualifier
Triple Crown quick links:
- Free Past Performances from DRF
- Analyzing the Derby Contenders - trying to pick a winner by comparing them with the profile of a Kentucky Derby winner
- Latest 3-year-old Poll from NTRA
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville. Currently rain is expected.
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Thoroughbred Times Triple Crown special
- Derby News from Churchill Downs
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|7||Bob and John||Baffert||3.00||Gomez||12-1|
|12||Private Vow||Asmussen||1.11 *||Bridgmohan||50-1|
|16||Cause to Believe||Hollendorfer||3.00||Baze||50-1|
|18||Brother Derek||Hendricks||2.33 *||Solis||3-1|