A full field of 20 three-year-olds made final entry for the 136th running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby (G1) Presented by Yum! Brands, contested on Saturday at 1 1/4 miles at Churchill Downs. 22 horses went into the entry box Wednesday morning but two were excluded by graded stakes earnings, Setsuko and Pleasant Prince. As well, two horses originally intended to go in, Interactif and Endorsement, were not entered. Interactif will instead stay on the turf and will contest the American Turf (G3) on Friday, while Endorsement suffered a lateral condylar fracture in his right front ankle during a workout this morning. He will have surgery on Thursday and is expected to be out 3-4 months.
John Asher hosted the proceedings at the Secretariat Lounge in the clubhouse at noon, with racing secretary Ben Huffman drawing the entry sheets and assistant secretary Dan Bourque drawing the numbers. Asher pointed out that Huffman shuffled the entry sheets, a reference to recent years when this step was forgotten and the names came out in alphabetical order. The "draft draw" was abolished this year and the draw was instead conducted in the traditional double blind method.
Lookin at Lucky, an unlucky third in a troubled trip in the Santa Anita Derby, will break from the rail under jockey Garrett Gomez for trainer Bob Baffert as the 3-1 favorite on the morning line announced by handicapper Mike Battaglia, and will race with blinkers off. Santa Anita Derby winner Sidney's Candy is the 5-1 second choice, but he drew the far outside post 20 for trainer John Sadler and jockey Joe Talamo. Three horses are tied at 10-1 third choice, Ice Box in post 2, filly Devil May Care in post 11 and adds blinkers, and Awesome Act in post 16.
The Kentucky Derby will be televised on NBC from 4-7:00pm EDT but you can watch most of the Derby card on ESPN from 1-5:00pm. Both networks will broadcast in HD this year. Free past performances for the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks are available from Daily Racing Form. The Kentucky Derby goes off at 6:24pm ET, carded as Race 11 of a 13-race card on Saturday May 1st.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Tuesday Kentucky Derby Photos - Despite the rain and muddy track there were still quite a few of the Kentucky Derby and Oaks horses out on the track this morning at Churchill Downs. Check out photos and comments for 10 of them including Conveyance and Awesome Act who had timed works.
- 2010 Kentucky Oaks Entries - A full field of 14 fillies was entered for the 2010 Kentucky Oaks on Friday, with Fantasy Stakes winner Blind Luck (right) the heavy favorite at 6-5 on the morning line. Check out the entries, post positions morning line odds, and free past performances here.
- Analyzing the Top Derby Contenders - My annual analysis of the top contenders to try and select a winner by matching each to the profile of a Kentucky Derby winner using many of the more popular angles and statistical trends.
- Kentucky Derby Contenders Graded Stakes Earnings - Graded earnings determine who can get in the starting gate on Derby day. Here is a list of the top earners in order of earnings. Looks like a record $200,000 will be needed to get in the field this year.
- Free past performances - from DRF for the top contenders
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3 - The third and final pool for the 2010 Kentucky Derby Future Wager was open from March 26-28 and closed with the field as the favorite. Get all the horses, final odds, and will-pays here.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool Two - The second pool for the 2010 Kentucky Derby Future Wager was open from March 5-7 and the field wound up the favorite once again. Get all the horses, final odds, and will-pays here.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool One - The first pool for the 2010 Kentucky Derby Future Wager was open from February 12-14 and the field wound up the favorite as usual at 3-2 with Looking At Lucky at 8-1. Get all the horses, final odds, and will-pays here.
- Experimental Free Handicap - Ranks the top 2-year-olds for 2009 and determines the dual qualifiers for the 2010 Kentucky Derby.
- Kentucky Derby Central - a guide to all things Derby
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers - There will again be three future wager pools for the Derby on February 12-14, March 5-7, and March 26-28. There will be a single pool for the Oaks on March 5-7.
- Kentucky Derby 101 - An overview of the Kentucky Derby from history to handicapping to how to attend. Perfect for beginners.
- Kentucky Derby Winners - all the winners with their connections and other info
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby - information about the fillies who have run in the Kentucky Derby
- More Derby info - lots more stats and other info about the Derby
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them and which are the best seats
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Lookin at Lucky||Baffert||3.33 *||Gomez||3-1|
|3||Noble's Promise||McPeek||3.36 *||Bejarano||12-1|
|4||Super Saver||Pletcher||3.00 *||Borel||15-1|
|5||Line of David||Sadler||3.00||Court||30-1|
|9||Make Music for Me||Barba||3.31 *||Smith||50-1|
|11||Devil May Care||Pletcher||2.53 *||Velazquez||10-1|
|15||Discreetly Mine||Pletcher||2.76 *||Castellano||30-1|
|16||Awesome Act||Noseda||3.57 *||Leparoux||10-1|
|19||Homeboykris||R. Dutrow Jr.||3.67 *||Prado||50-1|