Here is my ongoing look at some of the top contenders for this year's Kentucky Derby on May 2, 2009. With only two weeks to go, the major prep races have all been, so now it is just a question of who commits and who drops out. The entries will be drawn and post positions selected on Wednesday, April 29th, so the graded earnings totals to make the Kentucky Derby field are pretty much final now.
Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. Jockey assignments starting to firm up and most have a committed rider now. The Experimental Free Handicap is out now so we know who the dual qualifiers are and they are indicated with an asterisk (*) by the horse's name. Early Triple Crown nominations closed on January 24 and were released February 8. Late nominations will close on March 26 and after that a huge supplement fee would have to be paid to enter.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Quality Road out of the Derby - due to his foot problems
- Kentucky Derby Central - a guide to all things Derby
- Analyzing the Top Derby Contenders - Our annual analysis of the top contenders to try and select a winner by matching each to the profile of a Kentucky Derby winner.
- Derby Contender Graded Stakes Earnings - This figure is what determines who can get into the Kentucky Derby as only the top 20 horses by earnings entered get to start. Updated weekly.
- Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool 3 - was open from April 2-5 and again offered exacta wagering in addition to win bets. Get all the horses, final odds, will-pays, and free past performances here.
- Free past performances - from BRISnet
- Free past performances - from DRF
- Late Triple Crown Nominees - 11 more horses nominated by March 28 for a $6000 fee were announced on April 1st headed by Florida Derby winner Quality Road.
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- 2009 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool Two - ran from March 12-15 and is now closed. This one included an exacta and and Oaks pool as well. Get the horses, final odds, and free PPs here.
- 2009 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool One - ran from Feb. 12-15 and is now closed. Get the horses, final odds, and free PPs here.
- 2009 Triple Crown Nominations - 401 horses were nominated in the early period which closed on January 24.
- 2008 Experimental Free Handicap - ranks the top 2-year-olds of 2008 and determines the Dual Qualifiers for the Derby
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers - There will again be three future wager pools for the Derby on February 12-15, March 12-15, and April 2-5. There will be a single pool for the Oaks on March 12-15.
- Kentucky Derby 101 - An overview of the Kentucky Derby from history to handicapping to how to attend. Perfect for beginners.
- Kentucky Derby Winners - all the winners with their connections and other info
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby - information about the fillies who have run in the Kentucky Derby
- More Derby info - lots more stats and other info about the Derby
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them and which are the best seats
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|Chocolate Candy *||Hollendorfer||2.08||Smith|
|Desert Party||bin Suroor||3.80||Dominguez|
|Hold Me Back||Mott||3.44||Desormeaux|
|I Want Revenge *||Mullins||3.00||Talamo|
|Join in the Dance||Pletcher||2.00||Chris DeCarlo|
|Mine That Bird||Woolley||5.40||Borel|
|Mr. Hot Stuff||Harty||2.11||Velazquez|
|Nowhere to Hide||Zito||2.33||Bridgmohan|
|Pioneerof The Nile *||Baffert||3.89||Gomez|
|Regal Ransom||bin Suroor||2.00||Garcia|
|West Side Bernie *||Breen||1.80||Elliott|
|Off the Trail|