Here is my ongoing look at some of the top contenders for this year's Kentucky Derby on May 3, 2008. With less than a week before the Derby, the field is starting to take shape and jockey assignments are being announced. The entries will be drawn and post positions selected on Wednesday, April 30th, so check back that evening for the details. All the preps are over now and the graded stakes earnings list is finalized, so now we only have to wait for decisions. FYI - Proud Spell is not going to the Derby but will be in the Kentucky Oaks and Behindatthebar is waiting until the Preakness.
Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. Jockey are starting to commit now, but some are still based on who rode the horse last. The Experimental Free Handicap came out in late January, which told us who the dual qualifiers are. Early Triple Crown nominations closed on January 19 and late nominations closed on March 26, so unless they pay a big supplemental fee only those horses can enter.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Kentucky Derby past performances - free from DRF for the top 36 contenders
- Analyzing the Top Kentucky Derby Contenders - trying to pick a winner by profiling. 21 horses are included as of April 27.
- 2008 Kentucky Derby Contenders Graded Stakes Earnings - Graded stakes earnings for the top Triple Crown nominees. This figure is what determines who can get into the Kentucky Derby.
- Free Derby contender past performances - from BRIS for the top Future Book favorites. This will go away soon, so save a copy now.
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers Pool Three - Big Brown closed the favorite at 3-1, with Pool 2 favorite Pyro dropping to 5-1 second choice. In the Oaks Future Wager Eight Belles at 5-1 was a narrow favorite. Get all the final odds, will-pays, and free past performances here.performances here. Links to Pools 1 and 2 are included.
- Data Track facts - all kinds of statistics for all the Derby contenders from the Courier-Journal database. Searchable by name, trainer, sire, and more.
- 2007 Experimental Free Handicap - ranks the top 2-year-olds of 2007 and determines the Dual Qualifiers for the Derby
- 2008 Triple Crown Early Nominations - 449 horses were nominated by the January 19 early deadline.
- 2008 Triple Crown Late Nominations - 11 more horses were nominated by the March 29 deadline.
- Injury Report - who is hurt or off the trail from the Road to the Roses contest
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|Adriano||Graham Motion||3.17||Edgar Prado|
|Anak Nakal||Nick Zito||4.00||Rafael Bejarano|
|Big Brown||Richard Dutrow Jr.||1.67||Kent Desormeaux|
|Big Truck||Barclay Tagg||1.40||Javier Castellano|
|Bob Black Jack||James Kasparoff||4.33||Richard Migliore|
|Colonel John||Eoin Harty||2.11 *||Corey Nakatani|
|Cool Coal Man||Nick Zito||3.00||Julien Leparoux|
|Court Vision||Bill Mott||3.67 *||Garrett Gomez|
|Cowboy Cal||Todd Pletcher||2.60||John Velazquez|
|Denis of Cork||David Carroll||1.80||Calvin Borel|
|Eight Belles||Larry Jones||2.20||Ramon Dominguez|
|Gayego||Paulo Lobo||4.33||Mike Smith|
|Massive Drama||Dale Romans||2.33||?|
|Monba||Todd Pletcher||2.00||Ramon Dominguez|
|Pyro||Steve Asmussen||3.73 *||Shaun Bridgmohan|
|Recapturetheglory||Louie Roussel III||5.00||E.T. Baird|
|Salute the Sarge||Eric Guillot||4.14||Michael Baze|
|Smooth Air||Bennie Stutts Jr.||3.00||Manoel Cruz|
|Tale of Ekati||Barclay Tagg||2.00 *||Eibar Coa|
|Visionaire||Michael Matz||3.80||Jose Lezcano|
|Z Fortune||Steve Asmussen||1.67||Robby Albarado|
|Z Humor||Bill Mott||2.73||Rene Douglas|
|OFF THE TRAIL|