A field of 12 will face the starter in the 142nd running of the $1 million Belmont Stakes (G1) on Saturday June 5, the final leg of the Triple Crown. Florida Derby winner Ice Box, who followed that up with a fast-closing second in the Kentucky Derby, drew post 6 and is the 3-1 favorite on the morning line with jockey Jose Lezcano back aboard. In to challenge the Nick Zito trainee include 7-2 First Dude and jockey Ramon Dominguez in post 11, second in the Preakness Stakes for trainer Dale Romans, and 9-2 third choice from post 5 Fly Down with jockey John Velazquez, winner of the Dwyer Stakes last time out. This is the first time since 2006, and only the third time since 1970, both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winners have skipped the Belmont Stakes.
Post time for the Belmont Stakes will be 6:32pm Eastern and it will be race 11 of 13 on the card. ESPN will televise the undercard from noon to 5pm with ABC taking over from 5pm to 7pm.
Ernie Reichard, racing manager for owner Robert LaPenta of favorite Ice Box said, "(In the Kentucky Derby) it was stop and start, start and stop and once he got going on the outside he just made up ground. We gave him time off after the Derby, there was no need to rush him, and we had another nice horse in the barn in Jackson Bend (for the Preakness)."
Dale Romans, trainer of First Dude said, "When Ramon (Dominguez) jumped off him after the Florida Derby with all the trouble he was in, he said, 'the Belmont will be this horse's race because he wants to go 1 1/2 and he'll love that track.' We sent him up here, it's been 2 weeks, and he seems to have gotten over it really well. You're not going to skip a classic with a horse like this. We were waiting to go 1 1/2. He's a throwback kind of horse, a big rugged kind of horse, nothing bothers him, and I don't think three weeks is going to bother him. We think with extra distance and a little more experience, we can turn the tables on Ice Box."
Below are the horses entered for the 2010 Belmont Stakes with post positions and morning line odds. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo. Free past performances are available from Daily Racing Form.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Belmont contender past performances - free from DRF
- Belmont Weather Forecasts
- Past Belmont Stakes winners - with their connections, odds, winning time, etc.
- Belmont Media Guide - for 2010 from NYRA in PDF format. Includes all kinds of interesting stats plus charts for all the previous runnings.
- Belmont Stakes Traditions - from white carnations to the Belmont Breeze
- Belmont Stakes 101 - an overview of the Belmont Stakes from history to handicapping to how to attend.
- Fillies in the Belmont Stakes - only three fillies have won out of 22 entered, the last being Rags to Riches in 2007.
- Belmont Stakes official site - lots of news, stats, and other info
- Belmont Stakes Ticket Info - has 2010 the Belmont Stakes ticket applications and locations. Prices and seating diagram are in the application.
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Belmont Special
- New York Times Sports - will have Belmont coverage mixed in on the "Other Sports" page
- New York Post Horse Racing Section - should have some articles, also has a link to a Bettors Guide with picks.
- Belmont Stakes Videos - Lots of video clips of past Belmonts in the History section including most of the Triple Crown winners
- Triple Crown winners and near misses - Only 11 have won the Triple Crown, but 20 have won the Derby and Preakness only to fail in the Belmont.
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others
- Belmont Stakes Info Central - the master index with even more stuff
- Preakness Results and Photos - Lookin At Lucky wins
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos - Super Saver wins
|1||Dave in Dixie||John Sadler||1.67||Joel Rosario||20-1|
|2||Spangled Star||Richard Dutrow Jr.||1.67||Garrett Gomez||30-1|
|3||Uptowncharlybrown||Kiaran McLaughlin||3.00||Rajiv Maragh||10-1|
|4||Make Music for Me||Alexis Barba||3.31 *||Joel Rosario||10-1|
|5||Fly Down||Nick Zito||4.00||John Velazquez||9-2|
|6||Ice Box||Nick Zito||3.36||Jose Lezcano||3-1|
|7||Drosselmeyer||Bill Mott||1.75||Mike Smith||12-1|
|8||Game On Dude||Bob Baffert||3.67||Martin Garcia||10-1|
|9||Stately Victor||Mike Maker||1.91||Alan Garcia||15-1|
|10||Stay Put||Steve Margolis||2.29||Jamie Theriot||20-1|
|11||First Dude||Dale Romans||3.00||Ramon Dominguez||7-2|
|12||Interactif||Todd Pletcher||2.83 *||Javier Castellano||12-1|