On Wednesday afternoon, the post positions were selected for the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby, to be held Saturday May 3, 2008, at Churchill Downs. Selection order for the field of 20 was determined by random draw in the morning and then the connections made their post position selections Wednesday afternoon at a special ceremony.
As expected, undefeated Florida Derby winner Big Brown was installed as the 3-1 morning line favorite by Churchill Downs handicapper Mike Battaglia. However, despite having the 16th selection and with the two inside posts open, trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. opted for the far outside post 20. Santa Anita Derby winner and 4-1 second choice Colonel John will break from post 10, which is the most successful post position with 7 wins and 14 in-the-money finishes since 1970. Trainer Steve Asmussen chose post 9 for Louisiana Derby winner Pyro, the 6-1 third choice despite his poor 10th place finish in the Blue Grass. After the top three, the rest of the field are all double digits on the morning line, with four horses set at 15-1. Eight Belles, the only filly in the field, will break from post 5 for trainer Larry Jones in her first race against males and was set at odds of 20-1.
The Kentucky Derby will be televised on NBC from 5-6:30pm EDT but you can watch most of the Derby card on ESPN during the afternoon. Free past performances will be available from DRF soon. Post time for the Derby should be at 6:04pm EDT.
Below is a table with the entries in post position order with morning line odds. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. The dual qualifiers are noted with a star by their dosage index.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Analyzing the Derby Contenders - trying to pick a winner by profiling
- Kentucky Derby past performances - free from DRF
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Thursday Kentucky Derby Photos - from the morning works and afternoon paddock schooling
- Wednesday Kentucky Derby Photos - from the morning works
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results posted
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Kentucky Derby And Oaks Security - If you are attending in person, read this!
- 2008 Kentucky Derby Contenders Graded Stakes Earnings - Graded stakes earnings for the top Triple Crown nominees. This figure is what determines who can get into the Kentucky Derby.
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers Pool Three - Big Brown closed the favorite at 3-1, with Pool 2 favorite Pyro dropping to 5-1 second choice. In the Oaks Future Wager Eight Belles at 5-1 was a narrow favorite. Get all the final odds, will-pays, and free past performances here.performances here. Links to Pools 1 and 2 are included.
- 2007 Experimental Free Handicap - ranks the top 2-year-olds of 2007 and determines the Dual Qualifiers for the Derby
- 2008 Triple Crown Early Nominations - 449 horses were nominated by the January 19 early deadline.
- 2008 Triple Crown Late Nominations - 11 more horses were nominated by the March 29 deadline.
- Injury Report - who is hurt or off the trail from the Road to the Roses contest
- Data Track facts - all kinds of statistics for all the Derby contenders from the Courier-Journal database. Searchable by name, trainer, sire, and more.
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Cool Coal Man||Nick Zito||3.00||Julien Leparoux||20-1|
|2||Tale of Ekati||Barclay Tagg||2.00 *||Eibar Coa||15-1|
|3||Anak Nakal||Nick Zito||4.00||Rafael Bejarano||30-1|
|4||Court Vision||Bill Mott||3.67 *||Julien Leparoux||20-1|
|5||Eight Belles||Larry Jones||2.20||Gabriel Saez||20-1|
|6||Z Fortune||Steve Asmussen||1.67||Robby Albarado||15-1|
|7||Big Truck||Barclay Tagg||1.40||Javier Castellano||50-1|
|8||Visionaire||Michael Matz||3.80||Jose Lezcano||20-1|
|9||Pyro||Steve Asmussen||3.73 *||Shaun Bridgmohan||6-1|
|10||Colonel John||Eoin Harty||2.11 *||Corey Nakatani||4-1|
|11||Z Humor||Bill Mott||2.73||Rene Douglas||30-1|
|12||Smooth Air||Bennie Stutts Jr.||3.00||Manoel Cruz||20-1|
|13||Bob Black Jack||James Kasparoff||4.33||Richard Migliore||20-1|
|14||Monba||Todd Pletcher||2.00||Ramon Dominguez||15-1|
|15||Adriano||Graham Motion||3.17||Edgar Prado||30-1|
|16||Denis of Cork||David Carroll||1.80||Calvin Borel||20-1|
|17||Cowboy Cal||Todd Pletcher||2.60||John Velazquez||20-1|
|18||Recapturetheglory||Louie Roussel III||5.00||E.T. Baird||20-1|
|19||Gayego||Paulo Lobo||4.33||Mike Smith||15-1|
|20||Big Brown||Richard Dutrow Jr.||1.67||Kent Desormeaux||3-1|