Entries closed on Wednesday morning and post positions were drawn at a ceremony in the Secretariat Lounge at Churchill Downs at 5pm. A field of 21 was entered leaving 20 starters and one also-eligible, Pablo Del Monte, who will draw in the race if anyone scratches by 9am on Friday.
The favorite as expected was Santa Anita Derby winner California Chrome at 5-2, who was fortunate in the post position draw and will break from post 5. Second choice is Santa Anita Derby runner-up Hoppertunity in post 11 at odds of 6-1, while third choice is Wood Memorial winner Wicked Strong at 8-1 who will be in post 20. Oddsmaker Mike Battaglia said he had originally had the two reversed but changed them up after the posts were drawn.
Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and charts of all their races. Jockey assignments are starting to firm up but a still are yet to be announced. The Experimental Free Handicap came out in early February which determines the dual qualifiers, and they are marked by an asterisk by the dosage index.
The Kentucky Derby will be televised on NBC from 4-7:00pm EDT but you can watch most of the Derby card on NBC Sports Network from 11:00am-4:00pm. Free past performances for the Kentucky Derby will be available here. The Kentucky Derby goes off at 6:24pm ET, carded as Race 11 of a 14-race card on Saturday May 3rd.
Update: Hoppertunity was scratched on Thursday morning due to a bruised left front foot which allowed Pablo Del Monte in the race. His trainer ultimately decided not to let him start, so only a field of 19 now. Everyone from post 12 and out will move in one space. The morning line was changed after this and I have updated it below.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Kentucky Derby Free Past Performance - free from BRISnet. Scroll down to find the Derby horses for the link. Oaks past performances are here too if you scroll down farther.
- Wednesday Kentucky Derby Photos - Check out 14 photos of the Kentucky Derby horses from Wednesday April 30 at Churchill Downs with comments, including morning works and some paddock schoolers.
- Tuesday Kentucky Derby Photos - Check out 14 photos of the Kentucky Derby horses from Tuesday April 29 at Churchill Downs with comments, including morning works and some paddock schoolers plus Kentucky Oaks favorite Untapable.
- Kentucky Oaks Entries - A field of 13 fillies was entered for the 2014 Longines Kentucky Oaks on Friday, with Fair Grounds Oaks winner Untapable the favorite at 4-5 on the morning line drawing post 13.
- Analyzing the Kentucky Derby Contenders - trying to pick a winner using angles and profiles
- Kentucky Derby Barn Notes - daily news and notes for the Derby and Oaks contenders starting April 18
- Security still tight for 2014 - if you are going to the Derby or Oaks be sure to check here to find out what you can bring in with you. The enhanced security from last year is back again so no big cameras, camcorders, big purses, or coolers.
- Kentucky Derby Central - a guide to all things Derby
- Derby Points List - This is what determines who can get into the Kentucky Derby as only the top 20 horses from this list who enter get to start. Updated weekly.
- Road to the Derby - all the point earning prep races with results
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- 2014 Triple Crown Nominations - 414 horses were nominated in the early period which closed in January
- Late Triple Crown Nominees - 10 more horses nominated in March for a $6000 fee headed by Spiral Stakes runner-up Harry's Holiday.
- 2014 Kentucky Derby Future Wager - This year there were 4 pools starting in November of 2013 plus a single pool for the Oaks. Surprisingly, thie field of all other 3-year-olds was the favorite in all 4 pools.
- 2013 Experimental Free Handicap - ranks the top 2-year-olds of 2013 and determines the Dual Qualifiers for the Derby
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Kentucky Derby 101 - An overview of the Kentucky Derby from history to handicapping to how to attend. Perfect for beginners.
- Kentucky Derby Winners - all the winners with their connections and other info
- Kentucky Derby Traditions - There are many traditions associated with the Kentucky Derby from the garland of roses to mint juleps. Find out more here.
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby - information about the fillies who have run in the Kentucky Derby
- More Derby info - lots more stats and other info about the Derby
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Vicar's in Trouble||Mike Maker||5.00||Rosie Napravnik||30-1|
|2||Harry's Holiday||Mike Maker||2.00||Corey Lanerie||50-1|
|3||Uncle Sigh||Gary Contessa||3.00||Irad Ortiz Jr.||30-1|
|4||Danza||Todd Pletcher||3.00||Joe Bravo||8-1|
|5||California Chrome||Art Sherman||3.40||Victor Espinoza||5-2|
|6||Samraat||Rick Violette Jr.||1.22||Jose Ortiz||15-1|
|7||We Miss Artie||Todd Pletcher||3.00 *||Javier Castellano||50-1|
|8||General A Rod||Mike Maker||2.00||Joel Rosario||15-1|
|9||Vinceremos||Todd Pletcher||7.00||Joe Rocco Jr.||30-1|
|10||Wildcat Red||Jose Garrofalo||5.67||Luis Saez||15-1|
|SCR||Hoppertunity||Bob Baffert||2.64||Mike Smith||SCR|
|12||Dance With Fate||Peter Eurton||1.91 *||Corey Nakatani||20-1|
|13||Chitu||Bob Baffert||2.56||Martin Garcia||20-1|
|14||Medal Count||Dale Romans||2.13||Robby Albarado||20-1|
|15||Tapiture||Steve Asmussen||3.00 *||Ricardo Santana Jr.||12-1|
|16||Intense Holiday||Todd Pletcher||3.80||John Velazquez||8-1|
|17||Commanding Curve||Dallas Stewart||2.14||Sean Bridgmohan||50-1|
|18||Candy Boy||John Sadler||1.67||Gary Stevens||15-1|
|19||Ride On Curlin||Billy Gowan||3.44||Calvin Borel||15-1|
|20||Wicked Strong||James Jerkens||2.27||Rajiv Maragh||6-1|
|SCR||Pablo Del Monte||Wesley Ward||1.29||Jeffrey Sanchez||SCR|