On Wednesday in the Secretariat Lounge at Churchill Downs, the final entries were announced and the post positions were drawn for the 139th running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby (G1). Since 21 horses were entered, a full field of 20 three-year-olds will go 1 1/4 miles on Saturday at Churchill Downs, with Fear the Kitten getting in as an also eligible who will draw in the race if someone scratches by 9am Friday. The new point system called "Road to the Kentucky Derby" determined the preference order for the colts entered.
After the posts were drawn, handicapper Mike Battaglia announced the morning line. Florida Derby winner Orb was set as favorite at 7-2 with Wood Memorial winner Verrazano second choice at 4-1, and Santa Anita Derby winner Goldencents was the third choice at 5-1. With those three so close in odds, it was all the way up to 10-1 for the fourth choice, Louisiana Derby winner Revolutionary.
The Kentucky Derby goes off at 6:24pm ET, carded as Race 11 of a 13-race card on Saturday May 4th. You can view entries for the whole card on Equibase.com. Free past performances for the Kentucky Derby are available here after the post positions were drawn and here from in alphabetica order from BRISnet.com.
Below is the field listed in post position order with morning line odds and jockey assignments. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. The Experimental Free Handicap determines who the dual qualifiers are and they are indicated with an asterisk (*) by the horse's name.
Update: Black Onyx was scratched at 11:30am on Friday. Because it was after 9am, also-eligible Fear the Kitten will now draw in. Black Onyx came back from his gallop this morning with some filling and lameness which x-rays showed was a non-displaced chip in his ankle. They are still waiting for word on whether he will need surgery or if time off will heal it. The stewards have decided that the one hole in the starting gate will be left open.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Analyzing the Kentucky Derby Contenders - My annual analysis of the top contenders to try and select a winner by matching each to the profile of a Kentucky Derby winner using many of the more popular angles and statistical trends.
- Free Past Performances - for both the Kentucky Derby and Oaks
- Kentucky Derby Wednesday Photos - Photos of 18 Kentucky Derby horses on Wednesday morning, May 1, at Churchill Downs with notes and info for each.
- Kentucky Derby Tuesday Photos - Photos of 14 Kentucky Derby horses on Tuesday morning, April 30, at Churchill Downs with notes and info for each.
- Kentucky Oaks Entries - A field of 11 fillies was entered for the 2013 Kentucky Oaks on Friday, with Gulfstream Oaks winner Dreaming of Julia the narrow favorite at 3-1 on the morning line drawing post 8.
- May 1 Kentucky Derby Barn Notes - Daily notes and news about the Kentucky Derby and Oaks contenders at Churchill Downs for Wednesday May 1. Barn notes for previous days going back to April 14.
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Points List - A list of the current points earned by 3-year-olds prepping for a spot in the Kentucky Derby field. The point system replaces the old graded stakes earning method of determining which horses can get in the Kentucky Derby when entries are taken. List of races that earn points.
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers - This year there will once again be three future wager pools for the Kentucky Derby on February 8-10, March 1-3, and March 22-24 with both exacta and win wagering. There will also be a single pool for the Kentucky Oaks on March 1-3 with win and exacta wagering also.
- 2013 Triple Crown Nominations - 369 horses were nominated by the January early deadline.
- Experimental Free Handicap - Ranks the top 2-year-olds for 2012 and determines the dual qualifiers for the 2013 Kentucky Derby.
- Kentucky Derby Central - a guide to all things Derby
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Kentucky Derby 101 - An overview of the Kentucky Derby from history to handicapping to how to attend. Perfect for beginners.
- Kentucky Derby Winners - all the winners with their connections and other info
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby - information about the fillies who have run in the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Hats - a gallery of hats from past years
- More Derby info - lots more stats and other info about the Derby
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Derby Tickets and Seats - how to get them and which are the best seats
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|-||Black Onyx||Kelly Breen||2.08||Joe Bravo||scratched|
|2||Oxbow||D. Wayne Lukas||2.50||Gary Stevens||30-1|
|3||Revolutionary||Todd Pletcher||3.00||Calvin Borel||10-1|
|4||Golden Soul||Dallas Stewart||1.92||Robby Albarado||50-1|
|5||Normandy Invasion||Chad Brown||3.80 *||Javier Castellano||12-1|
|6||Mylute||Tom Amoss||2.00||Rosie Napravnik||15-1|
|7||Giant Finish||Tony Dutrow||1.59||Jose Espinoza||50-1|
|8||Goldencents||Doug O'Neill||1.67 *||Kevin Krigger||5-1|
|9||Overanalyze||Todd Pletcher||3.00 *||Rafael Bejarano||15-1|
|10||Palace Malice||Todd Pletcher||2.64||Mike Smith||20-1|
|11||Lines of Battle||Aidan O'Brien||1.95||Ryan Moore||30-1|
|12||Itsmyluckyday||Eddie Plesa Jr.||3.00||Elvis Trujillo||15-1|
|13||Falling Sky||John Terranova II||1.40||Luis Saez||50-1|
|14||Verrazano||Todd Pletcher||2.06||John Velazquez||4-1|
|15||Charming Kitten||Todd Pletcher||1.59||Edgar Prado||20-1|
|16||Orb||Shug McGaughey||3.21||Joel Rosario||7-2|
|17||Will Take Charge||D. Wayne Lukas||3.33||Jon Court||20-1|
|18||Frac Daddy||Ken McPeek||2.33 *||Victor Lebron||50-1|
|19||Java's War||Ken McPeek||1.40||Julien Leparoux||15-1|
|20||Vyjack||Rudy Rodriquez||1.80||Garrett Gomez||15-1|
|AE||Fear the Kitten||Mike Maker||1.11||Alan Garcia||scratched|