Final entries were taken and post positions were drawn for the 138th running of the $2 million Kentucky Derby (G1) on Wednesday afternoon at Churchill Downs. A full field of 20 three-year-olds will go 1 1/4 miles on Saturday at Churchill Downs. There were 21 horses entered, with My Adonis getting in as an also eligible who will draw in to the outside post if someone scratches by 9am Friday. After the posts were drawn, handicapper Mike Battaglia announced the morning line. Arkansas Derby winner Bodemeister was set as favorite at 4-1 with Florida Derby third place finisher Union Rags second choice at 9-2.
Below is the field listed in post position order with morning line odds and jockey assignments. Be sure to click the link on each horse's name to view full info, stats, and a photo where available. The Experimental Free Handicap determines who the dual qualifiers are and they are indicated with an asterisk (*) by the horse's name.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Free past performances - from BRISnet, look for Gemologist for the link
- Derby Weather - several forecasts for Louisville.
- Tuesday Kentucky Derby Photos - A gallery of 11 photographs from the morning works and paddock schooling on the Tuesday before the 2012 Kentucky Derby, including Bodemeister.
- Analyzing the top 2012 Kentucky Derby contenders - My annual analysis of the top contenders to try and select a winner by matching each to the profile of a Kentucky Derby winner using many of the more popular angles and statistical trends. This year there were no ties for the top spot, although there were many other ties among the rest.
- Free past performances - for many of the top Derby contenders from Daily Racing Form
- Kentucky Derby Barn Notes: May 1 - April 30 - April 29 - April 28 - April 27 - April 26 - April 25 - April 24 - April 23
- Kentucky Derby Central - a guide to all things Derby
- Derby Contender Graded Stakes Earnings - This figure is what determines who can get into the Kentucky Derby as only the top 20 horses by earnings entered get to start. Updated weekly.
- Triple Crown Trail - prep race schedule with results updated weekly
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Tickets prices going up - buy in advance to save on general admission prices
- 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool Two - The second pool for the 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager is now closed and the field wound up the favorite at 3-1 once again with Union Rags next at 4-1. The Kentucky Oaks Future Wager only had a single pool this year and the field was also the favorite there at 4-1 with Princess Arabella next at 6-1. Get all the horses, free past performances, final odds, and will-pays here.
- 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool One - The first pool for the 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager is now closed As usual, the field was a heavy favorite at 3-2 with Union Rags next at 7-1 then Algorithms at 12-1. Get all the horses, final odds, will-pays, and free past performances here.
- 2012 Triple Crown Nominations - 398 horses were nominated in the early period which closed in January.
- 2011 Experimental Free Handicap - ranks the top 2-year-olds of 2011 and determines the Dual Qualifiers for the Derby
- Review: Betting the Kentucky Derby - How to Wager and Win on America's Biggest Horse Race by Dean Keppler
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Future Wagers - This year there willl once again be three future wager pools for the Kentucky Derby on February 10-12, March 2-4, and March 30-April 1 with both exacta and win wagering. There will also be a single pool for the Kentucky Oaks on March 2-4 with win and exacta wagering also.
- Kentucky Derby 101 - An overview of the Kentucky Derby from history to handicapping to how to attend. Perfect for beginners.
- Kentucky Derby Winners - all the winners with their connections and other info
- Fillies in the Kentucky Derby - information about the fillies who have run in the Kentucky Derby
- More Derby info - lots more stats and other info about the Derby
- Official Kentucky Derby site from Churchill Downs
- Louisville Courier Journal coverage - one of your best news sources for the Derby
- Lexington Herald-Leader - another good source for Kentucky racing news
- Blood Horse Triple Crown Mania
- Thoroughbred Times Road to the Triple Crown
- DRF Kentucky Derby Special
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Daddy Long Legs||Aidan O'Brien||2.43||Colm O'Donoghue||30-1|
|2||Optimizer||D. Wayne Lukas||3.24||Jon Court||50-1|
|3||Take Charge Indy||Patrick Byrne||3.00||Calvin Borel||15-1|
|4||Union Rags||Michael Matz||2.14 *||Julien Leparoux||9-2|
|5||Dullahan||Dale Romans||4.20||Kent Desormeaux||8-1|
|6||Bodemeister||Bob Baffert||3.00||Mike Smith||4-1|
|7||Rousing Sermon||Jerry Hollendorfer||2.60 *||Joe Talamo||50-1|
|8||Creative Cause||Mike Harrington||1.43 *||Joel Rosario||12-1|
|9||Trinniberg||Bisnath Parboo||3.00||Willie Martinez||50-1|
|10||Daddy Nose Best||Steve Asmussen||2.43||Garrett Gomez||15-1|
|11||Alpha||Kiaran McLaughlin||1.67||Rajiv Maragh||15-1|
|12||Prospective||Mark Casse||3.36||Luis Contreras||30-1|
|13||Went the Day Well||Graham Motion||1.91||John Velazquez||20-1|
|14||Hansen||Mike Maker||3.50 *||Ramon Dominguez||10-1|
|15||Gemologist||Todd Pletcher||2.73 *||Javier Castellano||6-1|
|16||El Padrino||Todd Pletcher||2.60||Rafael Bejarano||20-1|
|17||Done Talking||Hamilton Smith||2.33||Sheldon Russell||50-1|
|18||Sabercat||Steve Asmussen||2.73 *||Corey Nakatani||30-1|
|19||I'll Have Another||Doug O'Neill||2.11||Mario Gutierrez||12-1|
|20||Liaison||Bob Baffert||3.00 *||Martin Garcia||50-1|
|AE||My Adonis||Kelly Breen||2.67||E.J. Trujillo||50-1|