Post positions were drawn for the 136th Preakness on Wednesday afternoon in the International Pavilion in the infield at Pimlico Race Course. A full field of 14 was drawn this year using the traditional double-blind system, with Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom, who drew post 11, set as the morning line favorite at 2-1. Kentucky Derby eighth place finisher and beaten favorite Dialed In is second choice at 9-2 from post 8 and Derby third place finisher Mucho Macho Man third choice at 6-1 from post 10.
Graham Motion, trainer of Animal Kingdom said, "It's great. I couldn't be happier (with post 11), really. I just would rather be on the outside than stuck down on the inside." Team Valor president Barry Irwin added, "It looks like it's going to be a real good pace. Our horse won with a moderate pace (in the Kentucky Derby), and if there's any kind of pace in the Preakness, he should be hard to handle."
Nick Zito, trainer of Dialed In, said, "The post (8) was good. The biggest thing for him is to get position and be in the clear so he can make his run. There should be an honest pace in there this time, so we'll be fine with that. I still think Dialed In is the best 3-year-old in the country."
Click the horse's name to see a profile with lots of information, stats, and a photo where available.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Preakness contender past performances - free from BRISnet (look for Animal Kingdom)
- Analyzing the Preakness Stakes Contenders for 2011 - My annual analysis using popular angles and statistical trends to see who best matches the profile of a Preakness winner. It is no surprise that Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom came out on top but how did the others fare?
- Preakness Weather Forecasts
- Kentucky Derby Results and Photos - Animal Kingdom wins
- Preakness Infield Changes for 2011 - Rules are much tighter now, so get the latest info. You can't bring beer, but you can buy a special "all you can drink" Mug Club ticket.
- Preakness Traditions - Black-eyed Susans to the winner, the Woodlawn Vase trophy, the Alibi Breakfast, painting the weather vane, and more.
- Preakness Entry Rules - the field is limited to 14 starters, here is how they determine the order of preference if more than that enter.
- Preakness Info Central - the main list of everything Preakness
- Preakness 101 - A basic introduction the the second jewel of the Triple Crown
- Past Preakness Winners
- Fillies in the Preakness - a look at the 53 fillies who have run in the Preakness and how they finished. So far only 5 have won.
- Preakness official site - news, history, and more
- Baltimore Sun Preakness Section - news, articles, and more
- Road to the Triple Crown - from Thoroughbred Times
- Triple Crown Mania - from Blood Horse
- Preakness Special - from DRF
- Triple Crown Trail - the prep race schedule with results
- Triple Crown Trivia Quiz - test your knowledge of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont and compete with others.
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
|1||Astrology||Steve Asmussen||3.42||Mike Smith||15-1|
|2||Norman Asbjornson||Chris Grove||4.60||Julian Pimentel||30-1|
|3||King Congie||Tom Albertrani||2.00||Robby Albarado||20-1|
|4||Flashpoint||Wesley Ward||4.33||Cornelio Velasquez||20-1|
|5||Shackleford||Dale Romans||3.62||Jesus Castanon||12-1|
|6||Sway Away||Jeff Bonde||2.50||Garrett Gomez||15-1|
|7||Midnight Interlude||Bob Baffert||2.47||Martin Garcia||15-1|
|8||Dance City||Todd Pletcher||4.43||Ramon Dominguez||12-1|
|9||Mucho Macho Man||Katherine Ritvo||2.43||Rajiv Maragh||6-1|
|10||Dialed In||Nick Zito||3.62||Julien Leparoux||9-2|
|11||Animal Kingdom||Graham Motion||1.67||John Velazquez||2-1|
|12||Isn't He Perfect||Doodnauth Shivmanga||2.06||Edgar Prado||30-1|
|13||Concealed Identity||Eddie Gaudet||2.59||Sheldon Russell||30-1|
|14||Mr. Commons||John Shirreffs||1.44||Victor Espinoza||20-1|