Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (G1)
Distance: 1 1/2 Miles (Turf)
Conditions: 3 Year Olds and Up
Purse: $3 Million
Post Time: 4:45pm
A total of 11 horses were pre-entered for the Turf but only 9 made the final field on October 31, as some opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Turf (G1) is one of the original seven World Championship races, first run at Hollywood Park in 1984. It has always been contested at the classic European distance of 1 1/2 miles on turf, which means it involves going around 3 turns except at Belmont Park (Widener Turf Course) and Woodbine (1996) where the distance can be covered in a 2 turn trip. It is the main target of European invaders, given its purse of $3 million, the second highest of the program after the Classic. Two females have won the event, Pebbles in 1985 and Miss Alleged in 1991; with the introduction of the Filly and Mare Turf, distaff participation is rare but Dar Re Mi did finish third in 2009. The time record for the race was 2:23.42 by Conduit at Santa Anita in 2008, while the slowest running was 2:42.07 by Northern Spur over the rain-soaked turf of Belmont Park. Winners have come from France, England, Ireland, and America, with one Canadian winner, Chief Bearhart in 1997 for Sam-Son Farm and trainer Mark Frostad. The only dead heat for win in Breeders' Cup World Championships history occurred in 2003 when American horse Johar and Irish horse High Chaparral hit the line together in 2:24.24 at Santa Anita. High Chaparral also won the 2002 edition at Arlington Park, making him the first repeat winner; Conduit won in 2008 and 2009 to repeat the feat. The "Win and You're In" races for the Turf are the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (France), Takarazuka Kinen (Japan), United Nations Stakes (New Jersey), King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes (United Kingdom), Arlington Million (Illinois), Del Mar Handicap (California), Irish Champion Stakes (Ireland), Prix Niel (France), Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (New York), and the Pattison Canadian International (Canada).
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Turf coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Turf Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Turf coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info.
- Breeders' Cup Turf coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Turf Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Turf contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Dosage and pedigree info for past Turf winners - from Steve Roman at Chef-de-Race.com
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|1||St. Nicholas Abbey||Aidan O'Brien||Joseph O'Brien||9-2|
|2||Sarafina *||Alain De Royer-Dupre||Christophe Lemaire||5-2|
|3||Dean's Kitten||Mike Maker||Ramon Dominguez||10-1|
|4||Stately Victor||Michael Maker||Mike Smith||30-1|
|5||Teaks North *||Justin Sallusto||Javier Castellano||20-1|
|6||Await the Dawn||Aidan O'Brien||Julien Leparoux||7-2|
|7||Sea Moon||Sir Michael Stoute||Ryan Moore||4-1|
|8||Brilliant Speed||Tom Albertrani||John Velazquez||20-1|
|9||Midday||Henry Cecil||Tom Queally||4-1|