Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1)
Distance: 1 1/16 Miles
Conditions: 2 Year Old Colts and Geldings
Purse: $2 Million
Post Time: 5:25pm EDT
A total of 16 horses were pre-entered for the Juvenile but only 13 made the final field on October 31, as some withdrew or opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1) is one of the original seven Championship Day races, first run in 1984, and is restricted to two-year-old colts and geldings. It is contested at 1 1/16 miles on the main (dirt or synthetic) track, with the exceptions of 1984 at Hollywood Park, 1985 at Aqueduct Racetrack, and 1987 at Hollywood Park when it was run at one mile, and 2002 at Arlington Park when it was contested at 1 1/8 miles. Traditionally, the winner of the Juvenile has been immediately named the early favorite for the Kentucky Derby the following year, however, in its 26 year history only one, Street Sense in 2007, has been able to wear the Garland of Roses six months later. It is worth noting that Street Sense won his Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs. At the other end of the extreme, Arazi romped in the 1991 edition, also under the Spires, but was off the board as the 4-5 favorite in his Kentucky Derby. As well, the Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner is invariably the highweight in the Experimental Free Handicap, given that the weights are based on a hypothetical 1 1/16 mile dirt race in November, exactly the conditions of this race. The fastest running time at the 1 1/16 mile distance was by Favorite Trick in 1997 at Hollywood Park, in 1:41.47, while the slowest was by Is It True in 1988, run in 1:46.60 over a muddy Churchill Downs track. Four European invaders have successfully switched from turf to dirt/synthetic to win this event, Arazi in 1991, Johannesburg in 2001, Wilko in 2004, and Vale of York in 2009. The lowest win mutuel in the race's history was Chief's Crown in the inaugural running, paying $3.40 to win, while the biggest longshot to win was Vale of York in 2009 who paid $30.60.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Juvenile coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Juvenile Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Juvenile coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info
- Breeders' Cup Juvenile coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Juvenile Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Juvenile contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Dosage and pedigree info for past Juvenile winners - from Steve Roman at Chef-de-Race.com
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|1||Take Charge Indy||Patrick Byrne||James Graham||30-1|
|2||Dullahan *||Dale Romans||Kent Desormeaux||8-1|
|3||Crusade||Aidan O'Brien||Julien Leparoux||12-1|
|4||Drill *||Bob Baffert||Martin Garcia||8-1|
|5||Hansen||Michael Maker||Ramon Dominguez||10-1|
|6||Prospective||Mark Casse||Luis Contreras||30-1|
|7||Creative Cause *||Mike Harrington||Joel Rosario||7-2|
|8||Speightscity||Gary Contessa||Corey Nakatani||20-1|
|9||Alpha||Kiaran McLaughlin||Garrett Gomez||15-1|
|10||Union Rags *||Michael Matz||Javier Castellano||2-1|
|11||Daddy Long Legs||Aidan O'Brien||Ryan Moore||12-1|
|12||Fort Loudon||Stanley Gold||Luis Jurado||20-1|
|13||Optimizer||D. Wayne Lukas||Robby Albarado||15-1|