Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (G1)
Distance: 1 Mile
Conditions: 3 Year Olds and Up
Distance: $1 Million
Post Time: 4:01pm
A total of 16 horses were pre-entered for the Dirt Mile but only 9 made the final field on October 31, as several opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (G1) was introduced for the 2007 running at Monmouth Park, the first year of the expanded two-day Championship format. It is run at 1 mile on the main track (dirt or synthetic), except in 2007, when, due to the configuration of the Monmouth oval, the race was run at 1 mile 70 yards. In its first four runnings there have been no repeat winners. The fastest running was in 2008 over the synthetic Pro-Ride surface at Santa Anita, when Albertus Maximus completed the 8 furlong trip around two turns in 1:33.41. 2010 winner Dakota Phone, who ran it over a one-turn trip at Churchill Downs, is the longest priced winner with a win mutuel of $77.40 as the longest shot on the board, capping a $1 superfecta payoff of $36,883.80 when favorites Here Comes Ben and Tizway failed to hit the board and the second-longest shot checked in fourth. As well, no horse, owner, trainer, or jockey has repeated as a Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile winner. The Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile was sponsored by horse racing channel and betting service TVG for the 2008 running only, and was an ungraded stakes race for its first three runnings before being granted Grade 1 status by the Graded Stakes Committee of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association for the 2010 running at Churchill Downs. Its purse has remained at the $1 million level since its inception. The Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile's inclusion on Championship Day was not popular among some people initially, who felt it contributed to the weakening of the program, since it would siphon talent away from three of the original seven races, the Classic, the Mile (on turf), and the Sprint. The argument continues to this day, as we see horses "duck" any of those above 3 races and parachute into this likely easier spot given its lower purse.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Dirt Mile Coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Dirt Mile Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Dirt Mile Coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info.
- Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile Coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Dirt Mile Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Dirt Mile contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|1||The Factor||Bob Baffert||Martin Garcia||7-2|
|2||Shackleford||Dale Romans||Jesus Castanon||7-2|
|3||Tapizar||Steve Asmussen||Garrett Gomez||20-1|
|4||Tres Borrachos *||Martin Jones||Joel Rosario||30-1|
|5||Wilburn||Steve Asmussen||Julien Leparoux||4-1|
|6||Irrefutable||Bob Baffert||Rafael Bejarano||12-1|
|7||Jersey Town||Barclay Tagg||Cornelio Velasquez||15-1|
|8||Caleb's Posse||Donnie Von Hemel||Rajiv Maragh||5-1|
|9||Trappe Shot||Kiaran McLaughlin||John Velazquez||3-1|