Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (G1) (formerly named the Distaff)
Distance: 1 1/8 Miles
Conditions: 3 Year Olds and Up Fillies and Mares
Purse: $2 Million
Post Time: 7:30pm Eastern
A total of 15 horses were pre-entered in the Ladies' Classic but only 10 made the final field on October 31, as several opted to go in other races.
The Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (G1) is one of the original seven Championship races. It has been run at 1 1/8 miles on the main (dirt or synthetic) track since the 1988 renewal; the first four runnings were contested at 1 1/4 miles. It was originally named the Breeders' Cup Distaff, but was renamed the Ladies' Classic in 2008, which was also the year it was moved from Saturday to the new "Ladies Day" Breeders' Cup Friday. No European-raced or bred filly or mare has won, but three South Americans, Bayakoa in 1989 and 1990, and Paseana in 1992, took home the trophy, as well as one Canadian, Dance Smartly in 1991. The fastest running at the 1 1/8 mile distance was 1:46.15 by Inside Information over a muddy track at Belmont Park in 1995, with Zenyatta's winning time of 1:46.85 over the Santa Anita synthetic in 2008 the second fastest. The slowest Ladies' Classic/Distaff was Personal Ensign's 1:52.00 in 1988. Bayakoa is the only repeat winner of the Ladies' Classic/Distaff, in 1989 and 1990. Four winners share the lowest win payoff of $3.00, Lady's Secret in 1986, Personal Ensign in 1988, Dance Smartly in 1991, and Zenyatta in 2008, while the highest win mutuel in the race's history was 2000 winner Spain at $113.80 followed by 1994 winner One Dreamer who paid $96.20, both of which were at Churchill Downs. By far the saddest moment in Breeders' Cup history occurred during the 1990 running at Belmont Park, when favorite Go for Wand broke down while in front of Bayakoa at the 1/16 pole, and had to be put down on the track.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Ladies Classic coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Ladies Classic Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Ladies Classic coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info.
- Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- Ladies Classic Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Ladies Classic contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Dosage and pedigree info for past Distaff/Ladies Classic winners - from Steve Roman at Chef-de-Race.com
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates she is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|1||Miss Match||Neil Drysdale||Garrett Gomez||10-1|
|2||Pachattack||Gerard Butler||Rajiv Maragh||12-1|
|3||It's Tricky||Kiaran McLaughlin||Ramon Dominguez||5-1|
|4||Satan's Quick Chick||Jeff Odintz||Edgar Prado||30-1|
|5||Ask the Moon *||Martin Wolfson||Javier Castellano||6-1|
|6||Royal Delta||Bill Mott||Jose Lezcano||5-2|
|7||Ultra Blend *||Art Sherman||David Flores||8-1|
|8||Plum Pretty||Bob Baffert||Rafael Bejarano||2-1|
|9||Medaglia d'Amour||Ben Cecil||Pat Valenzuela||30-1|
|10||Super Espresso||Todd Pletcher||John Velazquez||20-1|