Breeders' Cup Classic (G1)
Distance: 1 1/4 Miles
Conditions: 3 Year Olds and Up
Purse: $5 Million
Post Time: 7:00pm Eastern
A total of 15 horses were pre-entered for the Classic and a field of 13 made the final entries on Monday October 31. On Tuesday, Prayer for Relief was scratched after developing a fever.
First run in 1984, the Breeders' Cup Classic is the highlight race of the Breeders' Cup, and has been run at the same 1 1/4 mile main track (dirt or synthetic) distance since its inception, with a gross purse of $3 million initially, making it the world's richest horse race at the time. It was raised to $4 million at Woodbine in 1996, and then to $5 million in 2006 at Churchill Downs. Tiznow (2000-2001) is the only two-time winner of the Classic, while Zenyatta (2009) is the only female winner. She came a neck short of becoming the second two-time winner, when she was defeated by Blame in 2010, leading to her election as Horse of the Year. Tiznow's full brother Budroyale was second behind Cat Thief in 1999. 1993 winner Arcangues holds the record win payoff of $133.60, with 2002 winner Volponi's win payoff of $43.50 a distant second in that category, while the lowest win payoff was $3.40 for Cigar in 1995 at Belmont Park, capping off a perfect 10-for-10 season and a Horse of the Year championship. The fastest ever Classic was run by Ghostzapper (2004), in 1:59.02 at Lone Star Park, while the slowest was in the inaugural running, won by Wild Again in 2:03.40 at Hollywood Park. Only two European invaders have won, Arcangues (1993) and Raven's Pass (2008). Ferdinand (1987), Alysheba (1988), Sunday Silence (1989), and Unbridled (1990) completed a string of four straight Classics won by Kentucky Derby winners, not necessarily in the same year. Jockeys Pat Day, Jerry Bailey, and Chris McCarron had a stranglehold on this race but are all retired.
- Free past performances - from Equibase for all 15 races
- Free Breeders' Cup past performances - from BRISnet.com for all 15 races
- Free Prep Replays - listed by date in reverse chronological order
- Thoroughbred Times Classic coverage - news, contenders, history, and more.
- Blood Horse Classic Coverage - news, contender list, past winners, etc.
- Daily Racing Form Classic coverage - Full coverage with lots of news, stats, and other info.
- Breeders' Cup Classic coverage - News, points, polls, online pre video replays, and bios for all the contenders from Breeders' Cup
- The Downey Profile coverage - full analysis for the top races starting in October.
- Classic Points Standings - from the Breeders' Cup
- Classic contenders - from Chef-de-Race.com including dosage and pedigree info.
- Dosage info for past Classic winners - from Steve Roman at Chef-de-Race.com
- Breeders' Cup Weather - What will the weather be like at Churchill Downs on November 4 and 5? Here are lots of places to find out!
- Back to Breeders' Cup Contenders main page
- Breeders' Cup Links - the full list
- Breeders' Cup Traditions - find out about the permanent Breeders' Cup trophy, the Torrie horse, the flower blankets for the winners, and the official "Down the Stretch" cocktail.
- Breeders' Cup Field Selection Rules - Details of how they determine which horses get in each race at pre-entry time.
- The Breeders' Cup Championship Day - The official page for the Breeders' Cup championship races. Just about anything you need to know about it: results, video clips, and race calls for past years, and eventually nominations, entries, and results.
Juvenile Turf -
Turf Sprint -
Dirt Mile -
Friday: Juvenile Sprint - Juvenile Fillies Turf - FandM Sprint - Juvenile Fillies - FandM Turf - Ladies' Classic
Click each horse's name to view a full profile with lots of info
Note: - * by the horse's name indicates he is guaranteed a spot in the field due to winning a Breeders' Cup Challenge Win and You're In race.
|--||Prayer for Relief||Bob Baffert||Rafael Bejarano||scratched|
|2||Flat Out *||Charles Dickey||Alex Solis||6-1|
|3||Drosselmeyer||Bill Mott||Mike Smith||15-1|
|4||Ruler On Ice||Kelly Breen||Garrett Gomez||30-1|
|5||So You Think||Aidan O'Brien||Ryan Moore||5-1|
|6||Ice Box||Nick Zito||Corey Nakatani||30-1|
|7||Rattlesnake Bridge||Kiaran McLaughlin||Calvin Borel||30-1|
|8||Game On Dude *||Bob Baffert||Chantal Sutherland||10-1|
|9||Stay Thirsty||Todd Pletcher||Javier Castellano||12-1|
|10||Havre de Grace||Larry Jones||Ramon Dominguez||3-1|
|11||Headache||Michael Maker||Paco Lopez||30-1|
|12||Uncle Mo||Todd Pletcher||John Velazquez||5-2|
|13||To Honor and Serve||Bill Mott||Jose Lezcano||12-1|