Today was the first day of the Breeders' Cup meet at Gulfstream and they had a nice 10 race card with several stakes races. The big race of the day was the $250,000 Fraise Stakes at 9 furlongs on the turf. The winner there was the Bobby Frankel trained Bouccaneer who sported one of the new nasal strips in his win.
I visited the backside Friday morning and you could really feel the excitement in the air as everyone made the last minute preparations for the big day. Here are a few photos from this morning to give you a taste.
Note: Despite all the horror stories about the turf course being a bog, it was not that bad today. I walked on it and while it was not firm it definitely was not worse than good. With all the wind over the last few days it should be approaching firm by Saturday afternoon.
Sprint hopeful Big Jag in his stall
His owner Mr. Zolezzi with his family and friends made a huge cheering section for Big Jag
River Keen enjoyed a bit of grazing behind Bob Baffert's barn
Bonapartiste was very excited and kept tossing his head
Beautiful Pleasure on her way to the track for a gallop
Chilukki posed for her fans while getting cleaned up. Isn't she cute?
General Challenge chilling in his stall getting ready for the Classic.
Forest Camp showed the excitement hasn't dulled his appetite as he enjoyed some hay.
View of the grandstand from from the backside with Beautiful Pleasure going past
View of the paddock from the 3rd floor of the grandstand
Rock and Roll didn't draw into either of the Breeders' Cup races he entered but he did win the A.P. Indy Stakes on Friday
French import Bouccaneer won the $250,000 Fraise Stakes while wearing one of the new FLAIR nasal strips
Selected Breeders' Cup links:
- Breeders' Cup 1999 Special - the full list of links which will be updated regularly
- Breeders' Cup Poll - cast your vote for who you think will win each of the races
- Breeders' Cup Tickets
- Breeders' Cup - main page for the championship day
- Gulfstream Park - main page
- Gulfstream Park - quick list of most requested info
- Visitor Info - from the Breeders' Cup Host Committee
- Countdown to the Cup - from the Blood Horse
- Road to the Breeders' Cup - from Thoroughbred Times
- News Index Search - for articles that contain the term "Breeders Cup"
- Breeders' Cup 1998 Photos
- Breeders' Cup 1997 Photos
- Breeders' Cup 1996 Photos
- Photo Gallery of Breeders' Cup Winners
- Best of the Breeder's Cup Video - only $16.99 from Bigstar Video, features highlights of the first 10 years
- Greatest Show on Turf: A History of the Breeders' Cup - a great book by Perry Lefko from 1996 available from Borders Books for $24.95
Have a comment or question about this topic? Jump on over to the bulletin board!
Breeders' Cup logo courtesy of the Breeders' Cup and used with permission