1999 Atto Mile
A fine field of talented turf runners contested the third renewal of the Atto Mile (formerly the Woodbine Mile) for a purse of $1 million Canadian. This was a first step in a Breeders' Cup Mile bid for several of these, including some European shippers. The post time favorite was Allen Paulson's Garbu who was coming back from a bit of a layoff after some nice victories earlier in the year. Second favorite was Hawksley Hill who was winless so far this year but always very close. The pace was set by the speedy Rob 'n Gin who led for 3/4 mile before fading to third. Local longshot Quiet Resolve stalked the pace and came on to get the lead in the stretch only to be nipped at the wire by a late charging Hawksley Hill. However, Pat Day on Hawksley Hill inadvertantly hit 4th place finisher Jim and Tonic with his whip during the stretch drive which led to a disqualification. After a lengthly inquiry, the stewards took down Hawksley Hill and placed him fourth.
1 Quiet Resolve $91.10 $40.60 $16.10 6 Rob 'n Gin 19.70 11.20 9 Jim and Tonic 6.00 Final time: 1:33.19 $2 Triactor 1-6-9 $10,204.80 $2 Exactor 1-6 $1,114.90 $1 Superfecta 1-6-9-7 $13,448.65Full Chart
Quiet Resolve is a 4 year old Ontario bred bay gelding by Affirmed out of Quiet Cleo by No Louder.
The finish of the Atto Mile with 4 horses within a length of each other. You can also view a video of the finish in mpg format here. You need Windows Media Player, Real Player, or any mpeg video player software to view the video.
There was another stakes race on the card today, the Canadian Handicap at 1 1/8 miles on the turf for fillies and mares 3 years old and up. Anquilla, a 4 year old Seattle Slew filly won with Pat Day up for trainer Thomas Skiffington.
Atto Mile and Canadian racing links:
- Atto Mile - official page from the OJC
- Past Performance - in Adobe Acrobat format from the Daily Racing Form
- 52 horses nominated to the 1999 Atto Mile - from OJC
- Woodbine Stable Notes - lots of Atto Mile info now and updated frequently
- SLAM! Horse Racing - Canadian horse racing coverage
- News Index Search - should pick up some articles from the various online news sources
- 1998 Winner - Labeeb, now standing stud at Gainsborough Farm
- 1997 Winner - Geri, now standing stud at Brookside Farm
- Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame
- Toronto - a look at the city from About.com guide Andrea Mulder-Slater
- Canada's Sports Hall of Fame - the horse racing section
- Canadian Racing Facts - from Sporting Life, race dates are old but the information is still useful
- Canadian Farm Directories by province from the Blood Horse
Have a comment or question about this topic? Jump on over to the bulletin board!
All photos by the author except the 1st, 3rd, and 10th which are courtesy of Terence Dulay, Atto Mile logo courtesy of Ontario Jockey Club