Gustav Schickedanz accepts the Queen's Plate trophy from Hilary Weston, the Lt. Governor of Ontario
1999 Queen's PlateDateline: 6/27/99
A full field of 17 went to the post in the 140th renewal of Canada's premier race for 3 year olds, the Queen's Plate. Gustav Schickedanz stole the show by winning not only the Queen's Plate with Woodcarver but also the Grade 2 Nearctic Stakes with the long shot Clever Response. The victory was the first Queen's Plate win for local top rider Mickey Walls. Long shot Gandria came back from a fourth place finish in the Canadian Oaks to rally for second. Frank Stronach sent a 3 horse entry including his second place finisher from the Canadian Oaks but the best he could manage was third with the Bobby Frankel trained Euchre.
The day was marred by a nasty breakdown in the 10th race. Receive the King was to be Mickey Walls next mount but he took off to attend to the post Queen's Plate interviews and Emile Ramsammy picked up the mount. He was near the lead when he broke down, unseating Ramsammy and sending him for a nasty spill. Receive the King had to be euthanized and Ramsammy was listed in stable condition with a broken collar bone and fractured right knee.
3 Woodcarver 9.30 6.40 4.50 11 Gandria 44.60 17.20 2B Euchre 2.90 $2 Exactor $561.60 $2 Triactor $2,094.40 Final Time: 2:03.13Full Chart
Woodcarver in the post parade.
The horses break from the gate in the 140th Queen's Plate.
Woodcarver drawing off to win by 5 lengths in 2:03.13
The happy connections with their winner.
The trophy presentation for the 140th Queen's Plate
Clever Response winning the Grade 2 Nearctic Stakes earlier in the card. He is also owned by Gustav Schickedanz and trained by Michael Keogh but the winning jockey here was Emile Ramsammy.
Queen's Plate and Canadian racing links:
- Profile of runners in post positions 1 to 5 - from OJC
- Profile of runners in post positions 6 to 10 - from OJC
- Profile of runners in post positions 11 to 14 - from OJC
- Profile of runners in post positions 15 to 17 - from OJC
- 1999 Queen's Plate Information - from OJC
- Woodbine Stable Notes - mostly Queen's Plate info now and updated frequently
- SLAM! Horse Racing - Canadian horse racing coverage so lots on the QP now
- News Index Search - should pick up some articles from the various online news sources
- Queen's Plate Winners 1948-1998 - includes their sire line
- Last Year's Result - winner was Archer's Bay
- Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame
- Canada's Sports Hall of Fame - the horse racing section
- Canadian Racing Facts - from Sporting Life, race dates are old but the information is still useful
- Canadian Farm Directories by province from the Blood Horse
Have a comment or question about this topic? Jump on over to the bulletin board!
All photos by the author