The Queen's Plate EntriesDateline: 06/22/00
Entries were drawn this morning for the 141st running of the Queen's Plate and a full field of 17 was entered. The Queen's Plate, which is restricted to Canadian bred 3 year olds, is Canada's version of the Kentucky Derby and is the 2nd oldest stakes race in North America. Although there are a few no-hopers who are in just so their owners can say they had a horse in the Queen's Plate in general it is a pretty competitive field.
Honorary drawmaster Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender and horse owner Curtis Joseph poses in front of the post position board with the Queen's Plate trophy.
Past performances are available for free online from the Daily Racing Form here in Adobe Acrobat PDF format along with the Thoro-Graph sheets and Glenner's Picks are available here. Post time is scheduled for 5:40 p.m. EDT. The race will be televised live in Canada on CTV from 4:30-6:00p.m. EDT, on tape delay on ESPN2's NTRA 2Day at the Races from 6:30-7:00 p.m. EDT, and unscrambled on satellite at Galaxy 3R, channel 18.
The Queen's PlateHere is the field in post position order. Distance is 1 1/4 miles and all entrants carry 126 lbs. The purse is $1,000,000 Canadian guaranteed. There is an entry of 1 and 1A and two field horses who will be coupled in the wagering. Click on the horse's name to see full info on him or check out the stats and info on all the entrants here.
|# / PP||Horse||Jockey||Trainer||M/L Odds|
|1 / 10||Strike Smartly||Boulanger||Frostad||4-1|
|1A / 14||Scatter the Gold||Kabel||Frostad||4-1|
|2 / 1||Fartherthanuthink||Ramsammy||Baker||8-1|
|3 / 2||I and I||McAleney||Clayton||6-1|
|4 / 3||Wake at Noon||Clark||Katryan||5-1|
|5 / 4||Runaway Love||Day||Katryan||15-1|
|6 / 5||Tricky Hearts||Bahen||Armata||30-1|
|7 / 6||Touch of Power||Dos Ramos||Bennet||30-1|
|8 / 8||Twistingbythepool||Montpellier||Tiller||30-1|
|9 / 9||Allende||Somsanith||Benson||30-1|
|10 / 11||Bold n'Fancy||Walls||Barnett||15-1|
|11 / 12||Pete's Sake||Husbands||Pletcher||7-2|
|12 / 16||Lodge Hill||Velazquez||Pletcher||15-1|
|13 / 17||For Our Sake||Landry||Attfield||12-1|
|14F / 7||Colebrook Lake||Luciani||Bowden||30-1|
|15F / 13||Attawapiskat||McKnight||Doyle||30-1|
|16F / 15||Ace of Suedes||Olguin||Guitard||30-1|
winning the Plate Trial
More articles and info:
- Queen's Plate winner poll - vote for who you think will win
- Past Performances - from the DRF plus Thoro-Graph sheet and chart
- Glenners' Picks
- Live Audio/Video
- Current weather
- Scratches and changes
- Results Chart from Equibase (available late Sunday)
- Woodbine Stable Notes - mostly Queen's Plate info now and updated frequently
- Woodbine profiles: first 5 horses, next 5
- 2000 Queen's Plate Information - from Woodbine
- SLAM! Horse Racing - Canadian horse racing news
- News Index Search - articles from the various online news sources
- Queen's Plate stats and trivia
- Queen's Plate Winners 1948-1999 - includes their sire line
- Last Year's Result - the winner was Woodcarver
- More Canadian racing links
All photos by Terence Dulay; graphic courtesy of Woodbine.
Photos by author except where noted.