2000 Belmont winner Commendable being led to the winner's circle by his owner Bob Lewis
Belmont Stakes ResultsDateline: 06/10/00
A decent crowd of over 55,000 braved the 95+ degree heat and high humidity to watch the first Belmont Stakes of the new millenium. Nobody really wanted the lead except Hugh Hefner so the early going was slowed to a crawling 49.29 for the first half mile and 1:39.11 for the mile. Commendable was right behind him in second and took over after the first mile and drew off by as much as 2 1/2 lengths in the stretch. He had enough left in the tank after the slow pace to keep Aptitude a safe 1 1/2 lengths back at the finish when he made his rally from last. Unshaded was also far back early and rallied for third a length behind Aptitude and 6 lengths in from of Wheelaway who ran evenly in fourth.
Pgm Horse Jockey Win Place Show 3 Commendable Day 39.60 12.80 6.30 5 Aptitude Solis 3.80 2.80 4 Unshaded Sellers 4.40 Winning Time: 2:31.19 $2 Exacta 3-5 213.00 $2 Trifecta 3-5-4 1310.00 $2 Superfecta 12-5-1-9 9315.00Results Chart
Favorite Aptitude leaving the paddock. His rallying style worked against him in a race devoid of early speed.
Eventual third place finisher Unshaded in the paddock. He didn't handle the scorching heat very well and pulled up after the race in distress with heat stroke. He recovered enough to get up and walk off under his own power.
Eventual winner Commendable in the paddock
The Belmont jockeys pose for a class photo before the race.
Commendable crossing the wire a length and a half in front.
Pat Day races his whip in victory after the finish.
Pat Day gives thanks for a safe race and a big win
The winning connections celebrate with their trophies. From left to right: Beverly Lewis, Bob Lewis, Pat Day, and D. Wayne Lukas
More articles and info:
- Belmont QuickPredict Contest
- Belmont winner poll
- Belmont Park
- Past performances from DRF
- More from the DRF - Thoro-Graph sheet, charts, and past performances
- Belmont from Equibase - free program, past performances, ChartPlus, and articles
- Glenners' Picks
- Live Audio Sorry, no live video online.
- Current weather
- Scratches and changes
- Results Chart from Equibase (available late Saturday)
- News Index Search to find Belmont articles
- Past Belmont Winners with their connections and times.
- Belmont Links - the master index for all kinds of Triple Crown and Belmont info, news. stats, etc.
All photos by the author