Photo courtesy of Tina Hines
Preakness Winner Poll - vote for who you think will win|
| Preakness Post |
Post positions were drawn this afternoon for the 126th Preakness and a field of 11 horses was entered. Only five horses who ran in the Kentucky Derby are trying the Preakness with several opting to skip it and go straight to the Belmont or other races instead. As expected, Derby winner Monarchos is back to try and take the second jewel of the Triple Crown and he will break from post 7. Beaten Derby favorite Point Given is again on the outside in post 11. Morning line favorite is Monarchos at 2-1 narrowly over Congaree at 5-2 and Point Given at 3-1.
Past performances are available for free online from the Daily Racing Form here in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. Post time for the Preakness is 6:04pm EDT and between ESPN, ESPN2, and NBC there will be TV coverage nearly all day long (schedule).
The Preakness StakesHere is the field in post position order. Distance is 1 3/16 miles and all entrants carry 126 lbs. The purse is $1,000,000 Guaranteed Minimum Gross. Click on the horse's name to see full info on him.
|# / PP||Horse||Jockey||Trainer||M/L Odds|
|4||A P Valentine||Espinoza||Zito||10-1|
Monarchos all alone at the finish of the Derby.
More articles and info:
- Preakness workout photos with quotes and comments
- Past performances from DRF
- Preakness Special from Equibase - free program, past performances, ChartPlus, and articles
- Current weather
- Scratches and changes
- Results Chart from Equibase (available late Saturday)
- News Index Search to find Preakness articles
Triple Crown quick links:
- Preakness Entries - lots of info about each
- Free Past Performances from DRF
- Weather forecasts - will it rain on Preakness day?
- DRF Preakness coverage
- Triple Crown Mania from the Blood Horse
- Road to the Triple Crown from Thoroughbred Times
- Kentucky Derby Results
- Triple Crown Trail (updated weekly)
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
Photos by author except where noted.