The Preakness has been run at seven different distances:
- 1 1/2 miles -- 1873 to 1888 and 1890
- 1 1/4 miles -- 1889
- 1 1/16 miles -- 1894 to 1900 and 1908
- 1 mile 70 yards -- 1901 to 1907
- 1 mile -- 1909 and 1910
- 1 1/8 miles -- 1911 to 1924
- 1 3/16 miles -- 1925 to present
The largest Preakness crowd was 104,454 in 2001, which is believed to be the largest ever for any sporting event in Maryland history.
The leading Preakness winning jockeys are:
- Eddie Arcaro -- 6 including 2 consecutive wins in 1950-51
- Pat Day -- 5 including 3 consecutive wins in 1994-96
The leading Preakness winning trainers are:
- Robert W. Walden -- 7
- Thomas J. Healey -- 5
- D. Wayne Lukas -- 5
- Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons -- 4
- H. A. "Jimmy" Jones -- 4
Calumet Farm is both the leading breeder and owner of Preakness winners with 7 each.
Charismatic winning the 1999 Preakness
- Bold Ruler (Secretariat)
- Bold Venture (Assault)
- Gallant Fox (Omaha)
- Man O'War (War Admiral)
- Polynesian (Native Dancer)
- Citation (Fabius)
- Native Dancer (Kauai King)
- Secretariat (Risen Star)
- Summer Squall (Charismatic)
The winningest post position is #6 with 14 winners since 1909. Second is #4 with 12 wins and tied for third are #2 and #3 with 11 wins each. Only 9 horses have won from post position #1.
The oldest living Preakness winner (or winner of any Triple Crown race) is 1974's Little Current who is 31 years old. He was pensioned as a stallion in 1998 and his last two foals were 3 year olds in 2000. Nice article about him from April 2002 here.
The track record at Pimlico for 1 3/16 miles is 1:52 2/5 set in 1991 by Farma Way in the Pimlico Special. The Preakness stakes record is 1 53 2/5 which was set in 1985 by Tank's Prospect and tied in 1996 by Louis Quatorze.
Preakness winners by color:
- Bay -- 65
- Chestnut -- 41
- Brown -- 15
- Gray or Gray/Roan - 4
- Black - 2
In 127 races (there were two divisions run in 1918), 64 favorites have won the Preakness. 23 of these were at odds lower than even money. Lowest odds on a winning favorite were Citation at .10-1. Longest odds on a Preakness winner were 23.4-1 on Master Derby in 1975 who upset favorite Foolish Pleasure.
Four fillies have won the Preakness out of 52 who entered. The winners were:
- Flocarline -- 1903
- Whimsical -- 1906
- Rhine Maiden -- 1915
- Nellie Morse -- 1924
Want more trivia tidbits? Check out this page from the Baltimore Sun a couple of years ago.
Triple Crown quick links:
- Kentucky Derby Results - War Emblem wins wire to wire!
- Free Past Performances - from BRIS and the Blood Horse
- Free Past Performances - from Daily Racing Form
- Preakness Weather - up to 15 day forecasts
- Late Triple Crown Nominees - 12 additional horses were nominated by the March 30th deadline for late nominations
- Triple Crown Nominees - 405 horses were nominated in the early round this year. Check out the full list sorted by horse, sire, owner, and trainer
- Triple Crown Trail
- Preakness 127 from Daily Racing Form
- SunSpot.net - local coverage by the Baltimore Sun
- Road to the Triple Crown from Thoroughbred Times
- Triple Crown Mania from the Blood Horse
- Triple Crown Index - the master list with even more info
Blackeyed susans courtesy of Deborah Simpson the About Guide to gardening.