The trifecta requires you to select the first three finishers in order and can lead to big pay-offs. Keying lets you minimize your wager while giving you more chances to win.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Select the horse you think will win.
- Select two or more horses that you think have the best chance to finish second or third.
- Go to the betting window and tell the clerk which track and race you wish to bet on
- Tell the clerk '$1.00 trifecta key 1 over 2, 3, 4' (or whichever horses you selected).
- Make sure your ticket is correct before you leave the window.
- Take your ticket and watch and cheer for your selections.
- The more horses you key under your winner, the better chance you have of cashing your ticket, but your ticket will also be more expensive.
- A 2 horse key is $2, a 3 horse key is $6, a 4 horse key is $12, a 5 horse key is $20, and a 6 horse key is $30.
- $1 is generally the minimum wager on a trifecta key but you can wager a larger amount if you like.