The exacta requires you to select the first two finishers in order. Wheeling lets you minimize your wager while giving you more chances to win. The exacta usually offers higher pay-offs than win, place, or show wagers.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Select the horse you think will win.
- Select two or more horses that you think have the best chance to finish second.
- Go to the betting window and tell the clerk which track and race you wish to bet on
- Tell the clerk '$1.00 exacta wheel 1 over 2, 3, 4' (or whichever horses you selected). Most tracks will take a $1 minimum on a wheel but some still require a $2 minimum.
- Make sure your ticket is correct before you leave the window.
- Take your ticket and watch and cheer for your selections.
- The more horses you key under your winner, the better chance you have of cashing your ticket, but your ticket will also be more expensive.
- The wheel will cost $1 per horse placed in second. $2 for 2, $3 for 3, etc.
- $1 is generally the minimum wager on an exacta wheel but some tracks still require a $2 minimum. You can wager a larger amount if you like.